Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some alternator help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Need some alternator help...

Not sure if this is in the right section or not. I replaced my alternator last weekend b/c it seemed to keep overcharging batteries. Well after eating my 3rd battery I decided to change the alternator. Well the new one seemed to work fine but after a few drives I noticed my check gauges light came on and then I saw my battery voltage was down around 10volts. As I drove home it got lower and lower until it was finally pegged on 8 volts. I could hardly even roll the windows up when I got back. I checked the alternator and the connections are all good. Is there an alternator fuse or something I should check? Or does it sound like maybe the new alternator is just a dud.

thanks for any help or suggestions
Old 08-06-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bueller...Bueller???
Old 08-06-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

check the "exciter wire" on the alt. It is the one wire clip on the top. You might have boke it.

I did when I first removed my alt.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
check the "exciter wire" on the alt. It is the one wire clip on the top. You might have boke it.

I did when I first removed my alt.
It looks okay. It's still attached but maybe bent a bit coming out of the plug. Doesn't appear to be broken or split though. How do you go about replacing that?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

There is a company that makes the plug and wire. I'll PM you the comapny as I don't think they are a sponsor on here. You will have to cut the old one off and put the new one in. Not very hard at all.

Also make sure your positive wire has no corrosion in it. I pulled mine apart and it was full of it.