Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback swap out queston

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catback swap out queston

My third gen has a brand new 3" American Thunder catback, the car isn't going to be finished for a while so I was thinking about taking it off and installing it on my 98 Z-28. My tips are irritating the hell outta me on my LS1 car so I thought the catback on my third gen would look good and sound good untill I can buy a magnaflow or something. My queston is, with a little modifications to the mounting brackets it should be generally the same correct? I don't see much difference between the two as they both have the same rear suspension and the exhaust runs in the same places.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not sure if it will fit or not. You may have to make modifications to the I-pipe to get it to fit properly, and once you do that you can't place it back on your third-gen so easily.

You may just want to swap out for a good cheap catback. Cheapest here is the TSP rumbler.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True, I just realized the intermediate pipe runs along the frame rail on the passenger side rather than down the transmission tunnel like the 4th gen. I'm scrapping that idea, don't want to mess up a brand new cat back. I'll check on the TSP, thanks