Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual cutouts on the Y-pipe, Pros & cons?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual cutouts on the Y-pipe, Pros & cons?

Thinking about it. I want to go back to a stock type setup, and just put dual electronic cutouts on a Y-pipe. I currently have the Eldebrocks stepped header, 3 1'2" collecter.

I'm tired of all the dust and crap that gets blown up on the car, and I just want the car loud when I want it loud, and quiet when I want it quiet.

Anyone have experiences with the duals? Pics? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:40 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

From what I have been told and shown on here is that dual cutouts will loose power over a single in the I. So if your only intent is to be loud as **** then by all means go with the dual cutouts. But for a better gain in hp I would go with a single cutout.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the y-pipe gives your exhaust a scavenging effect, so you'll theoretically make more power with one cutout in the I-pipe. there are no pros i can think of with dual cutouts, only cons, which include less power, more cost and twice the time spent uncapping them making it twice the PITA. you won't be really any louder either by running dual cutouts. it's a waste.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
the y-pipe gives your exhaust a scavenging effect, so you'll theoretically make more power with one cutout in the I-pipe. there are no pros i can think of with dual cutouts, only cons, which include less power, more cost and twice the time spent uncapping them making it twice the PITA. you won't be really any louder either by running dual cutouts. it's a waste.
' UNCAPPING ' what is that ??? -------------------------

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 08-15-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha really.. i have an electic cut out too, but if your going to do two that would be very expensive to get two of them and use all that time installing them
Old 08-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldn't want an electric cutout. well, i would, because it's awesome, but...

-they're a lot more money
-harder to install
-they leak
-they're known to fail

that makes me say a manual cutout is my best bet. plus, you can always go electric later
Old 08-15-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i wouldn't want an electric cutout. well, i would, because it's awesome, but...

-they're a lot more money
-harder to install
-they leak
-they're known to fail

that makes me say a manual cutout is my best bet. plus, you can always go electric later
I'll give you the first and fourth, but they are simple to install, very simple. Any idiot could do it. Also, they dont all leak, I've had no problems. Just use a gasket or some gasket maker and you're good to go.

Plus the convenience makes it worth it. And the first time somebody pulls up next to you, and you let him hear it closed, and you see their jaw drop after you open it, it more than makes the cost worthwhile.