Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SEAFOAM ='s Hole in Header. I THINK!!! OR????

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:16 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SEAFOAM ='s Hole in Header. I THINK!!! OR????

I filled up last weekend at Exxon with 93 Octane & then put in a can of SeaFoam with my Fill up Approx 15 Gallons of Gas plus Seafoam!

Well I went ahead & drove my car to work so I could run the tank out of gas & then I was going to change my Fuel Filter since I knew it would be dirty from all the Carbon that was cleaned off my pistons from the Seafoam.

Well I got in my car this morning & had a little over a 1/4 tank of gas & when I go on the entrance ramp to go on the highway I got on it like I always do. Well I hear a loud POP & then a insane bad Exhaust leak. I thought I blew a Header Gasket, But it sounded alot louder then just your normal Header Gasket leak. I pulled over & popped the hood to find a Quarter Size hole in the Header on the front Passenger side Header on the Header tube on the very front. I took the car to the Exhaust shop & they are going to weld on some Metal over the hole.

WAS THE SEAFOAM the reason the car ran that Lean to burn a Hole through my header?

Has anyone else had this problem that I had?

What do you think caused it?

Thanks Guys
Sebastian
Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive done seafoam and never had that problem. I cant picture it burning a whole like that but maybe
Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i don't know how carbon would get back to the fuel filter

and, i have used seafoam plenty of times like that

holes in header = lean
Old 09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen plenty of holes in the headers due to poor welds at the AIR or EGR locations...was that the case here?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:42 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I've seen plenty of holes in the headers due to poor welds at the AIR or EGR locations...was that the case here?
I have the Block off plates for the AIR & EGR spots, But it is possbile that the bolts are coming loose. Thus causing the hole.

I should have worded the thread diffrently rather then it sounding like it was the Seafoam that caused the hole. I just thought that since the Seafoam was the only thing I have done to the car in recent that it might have been the culpret since it has to be somewhat high in Octane to be able to burn the Carbon off my pistons & that maybe my car was running lean because of the Fuel additive.

Also I was under the impression that it is better to wait to change the fuel filter after I ran the SEAFOAM so that way if there was any stuff that was dirty in my injectors that the SEAFOAM has cleaned the injectors now that it would have made it's way through my fuel system & caught by my Fuel Filter thus making it more dirty as it already is since I know I haven't changed my Fuel filter since I have owned the car & the car has 104,000 miles on it & I have owned it since 103,000, that I suspected it was pretty dirty & my Injectors's & fuel System was dirty & running the Seafoam would clean it all out & then change the Fuel Filter to have a fresh clean running Fuel System.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:28 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Any other Idea's guys???
Old 09-01-2006, 11:00 AM

the weld broke on the air tube fitting i have seen this happen several times, this WAS NOT caused by seafoam
Old 09-01-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude I honestly dont think you have a clue.

Go ahead and change that fuel filter though because it probably has tons of carbon in it from the pistons
Old 09-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Fuel from you injectors goes directly into the cylinders where it is burnt and sent out the exhaust. There is no way for it to send carbon to the fuel tank. If you have a return line on your fuel system it is sent back before it ever gets to the injectors. Hope that helps clear things up a little.

I have seen a lot of pics with the same problem you have had with your headers. Just bad luck or should I say bad weld.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow-I am not sure where to even begin with this one...

As stated by silver2000WS6 and others, The seafoam cannot send carbon from the pistons to the filter. The seafoam could theoretically clean components of your fuel tank / fuel lines, and then deposit them in the filter before the fuel reaches the engine, so changing the filter for this reason at least makes a little bit of sense (but is still probably not necessary) . As for the header issue, I would agree that you have other problems going on ( like an air leak, bad tune, bad weld, ect.) and the fact that it happened after the seafoam is just a coincidence.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I know what happened: the salt in the seafoam could deposit on the inside of the headers. Salt's corrosive properties coupled with the salty header's inability to disipative heat like ceramic or non-coated headers results in a weak spot in the headers.

Case closed.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

sea foam did not cause this
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have to call BS on the "salt in the Seafoam" theory as well. First of all, I doubt that there is even salt in seafoam, let alone the odds that enough of it would get on the inside of the header to corrode a hole in it from one application. Seafoam is mostly alcohol I believe.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 09-01-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I would have to call BS on the "salt in the Seafoam" theory as well. First of all, I doubt that there is even salt in seafoam, let alone the odds that enough of it would get on the inside of the header to corrode a hole in it from one application. Seafoam is mostly alcohol I believe.
he was kidding. it was a joke

seafoam is pure petroleum.

seafoam had nothing to do with the blown header. it was likely a bad weld/bad material. coincidence. pure coincidence.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

thought he may be joking, but one never knows in this crazy world called the World Wide Web
Old 09-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Restricted User

bad weld and/or oldddd *** headers and/or both lol
Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

This thread is funny...

Carbon from pistons in feul filter, seafoam causing holes in headers, salt in seafoam (that was good)

this thread has to be a joke
Old 09-01-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not that big of a deal - just think of it as a new, non - adjustable cutout upstream of the cats...
Old 09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the poster would go back and add punctuation, reword his run-on sentences, and take a breath here and there we might understand fully what he's trying to say.

A diagram or description of where exactly the hole is might be a big help.

For my money, I'd change the fuel filter regardless of when he has/will add Seafoam. At 100k+ I'd say it's called for just in case it's never been changed. If it has been changed at some point, it's still money well spend. If it hasn't, well, OMG! It's not like it's difficult or anything.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
he was kidding. it was a joke

seafoam is pure petroleum.

seafoam had nothing to do with the blown header. it was likely a bad weld/bad material. coincidence. pure coincidence.
You got it. That's why no one messes with The Jesus.