Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulley stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 03:47 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pulley stuff

OK, so I have lurked in this forum since I joined to quietly learn stuff, but it is now question time. When you get a new pulley, you need the underdrive pulley, a new belt, and that's it right? What is the difference if you have an electric water pump? What does an alternator under/over drive pulley do, and does it make any difference? Is there a recommended brand that is better than others? I remember seeing a sponsor with a belt tensioner, is that required, recommended, or just pretty? I think that is all of the questions I have about pulleys, thanks in advance for your time.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You get the underdrive pulley and new ac and accessory belts. An electric water pump runs off a small battery, eliminating it as a drag on the engine, freeing up some horses. An alternator pulley can be left stock(what most people do), go bigger(overdrive), or go smaller(underdrive) when you get an underdrive pulley. Unless your car is not a daily driver, underdriving your alternator is not suggested as it will carry low alternator charge. March and ASP seem to be well accepted manufacturers of ud pulleys. Try an go with a pulley that is SFI approved. SFI is a non profit organization that sets performance standards for aftermarket autosport products. You can check them out on their website sfifoundation.com. A belt tension will make getting the belts on easier. It can be rented from your local auto parts store.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youll also need a new crank bolt. In the past I have reused the old one, but its highly suggested against.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

It is also helpful to get a longer version of the crank bolt to put the pulley back on. I had to use a piece of wood and a hammer to get it on far enough for the threads to grab.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Replace the crank seal as well. They are $4.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this out. This is a neat tool that one of the other board members developed to help with pulley installs. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...Pulley+Install
Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP... 25% underdriven and it comes with the longer bolt.