Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Lid and Blackwing fiter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Lid and Blackwing fiter?

On ebay I found a very reputable seller and he offers a "SLP Blackwing High Flow Air Filter" with the lid it adds some cost to it but I just used the search function for an hour and kept coming up with this Blackwing filter apparently only for Corvettes that was shaped like a cone. I assume this blackwing filter in the auction is like a normal filter and fits my T/A. Also, what the hell is up with "blackwing"? Is it SLP just with a different name? Also, I see a lot of people who have an SLP Lid in there sig but then say K & N. Im a little confused by this because as far as I can tell SLP only sells the "blackwing" filter so did you guys just buy the lid from SLP then buy the filter separately from K & N?

By the way heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-09-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

SLP still makes the 'aftermarket' type lid as shown on that auction link you posted.
SLP had Donaldson join in for the manufacturing of the SLP/Donaldson 'Blackwing' lid, which was used on the late '02 SS's & Firehawk's to bring the ratings to 345hp.
I'm a bit confued on SLPonline.som's new explanation of the 'Blackwing' filter it now sells. http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=25012B
It says it should be oiled like the K&N needs. I would bet they are the same thing now, the K&N & the SLP Blackwing shown there.
The original SLP/Donaldson Blackwing filter was a very good flowing paper element, not the now shown oiled type. And you can't find the original paper element up for sale very often anymore either. I sell Donaldson industrial filtration product & can't even get access to the original proprietary element.

Use the search function here for 'SLP aftermaket lid' & 'SLP Donaldson Blackwing'. You may find actual photos of the two different lids. The Blackwing is the best way to go in my opinion. Great fit, finish, & flow.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply and yes I was finally able to find some answers. Turns out "blackwing" makes an aftermarket intake for Vettes that is rather popular and apparently (as you stated) for 02 SLP F-bodies they had a blackwing air lid. I guess I am going to go ahead and buy the SLP lid and get the re-oilable blackwing filter
Thanks again

Edit: Although I dont understand how people in their sigs have an SLP lid but have a K & N filter. Why wouldnt they just buy the filter from SLP as well?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Thank you for the reply and yes I was finally able to find some answers. Turns out "blackwing" makes an aftermarket intake for Vettes that is rather popular and apparently (as you stated) for 02 SLP F-bodies they had a blackwing air lid. I guess I am going to go ahead and buy the SLP lid and get the re-oilable blackwing filter
Thanks again

Edit: Although I dont understand how people in their sigs have an SLP lid but have a K & N filter. Why wouldnt they just buy the filter from SLP as well?
I'm sure SLP sells the K & N filter as well... and generally, you won't see much of any gains switching between different filters... alot of people still run the factory paper filter
Old 09-10-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I purchased the SLP lid and Blackwing filter I hope it works out
Thanks for the replies
Old 09-11-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

The lid will help, filter doesn't really make much difference though. I actually went back to paper from the k&n that was on my car when I got it. No difference in performance and I don't have to clean and oil anything.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hah I'll deal with that in 50,000 miles or so