Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered my headers, have ?s

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered my headers, have ?s

Yea so i finally decided to dump all my money into some pacesetter longtubes and their new catted y pipe but i have a few questions.

First off does the catted y pipe have spots for the rear o2 sensors or do they have to be deleted even though im gonna have cats on there?

Second I wanted to get everything together so i can tackle this as quick as possible without any hold ups. I have the headers and y pipe and o2 extensions...i hopefuly can use my stock gaskets but where would i be able to find new header bolts would any old hardware store carry those?

is there any thing else i am forgetting? as far as tools i have wrenches and sockets a breaker bar and a sawzall, do i need special sockets for the o2s and spark plugs? My garage is a mess and i have no tools really so im trying to collect all of them before the weekend

Thanks, any help would be appreciated
Old 09-17-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if that y-pipe has rear O2 bungs, probably not, but you will need to delete them or get sims. Re-use the stock header bolts and do yourself a favor and buy new GM header gaskets. No special tools needed.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no special tools at all you prettly much got them all right. they only 'special' tool that i can think of is to get the spark plugs out. good luck and it the istall was not that bad. did it last fri took about 3 hours to do

GL
Old 09-17-2006, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

You can re-use the stock header bolts, but I'd recommend studs.
I'd also suggest getting new gaskets, I've done headers twice and both time haven't been able to re-use the stock gaskets, I used Fel-Pro and had no problems.

Are you deleting your EGR and AIR? If so you will need block-offs.

Band clamps for where the colletor meets the Y-pipe.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

i have no egr since im an 01 but im going to leave the air on there for now i can always take it off later...where can i find those fel pros online and i wonder if my local shops carry them cause that would make things alot easier
Old 09-17-2006, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

i went to NAPA
Old 09-17-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

k ill look around for gaskets but how do i know which ones to get and if i got studs how do i screw them into the engine is there a special piece that threads them in? i probably will just get some new bolts
Old 09-17-2006, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by p8ntmunky
k ill look around for gaskets but how do i know which ones to get
Just tell them the year/make/model/engine, and they should be able to pull the gaskets for you.
and if i got studs how do i screw them into the engine is there a special piece that threads them in? i probably will just get some new bolts
Special tool, no. A stud is pretty much just a threaded rod. All you do is thread it in by hand into the hole that the header bolt came out of, and after you put the header on there is a nut that gets threaded onto the stud, and you torque the nut or bolt if you don't use studs to 18 FT/LBS.

I've never used studs on mine, and the bolts hold just fine. But with studs your less likely to strip the threads out of the head, and after I did that to one bolt hole on each of my heads, I will always studs on just about everything.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

they are not needed, but some nice gear wrenches will make getting to a few headers bolts alot easier.
when i did my headers i bought new GM gaskets, and re-used the stock header bolts. no problems or leaks so far.
you might also want to change your plugs while your at it.