Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any better idea to run TD's out the back w/ 1 chambers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Any better idea to run TD's out the back w/ 1 chambers?

Thats what I wanna do in stainless steel!!! Anybody got some good pics of a setup like that? I already read the sticky and some other posts. Opinions?

I was under my car today and planned out this layout for the best ground. Blue is 3", green is 2.5". I'm going to try to go to an exhaust shop tomorrow for a quote.
Attached Thumbnails Any better idea to run TD's out the back w/ 1 chambers?-true-duals-layout.jpg  
Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL that is good..

i jsut bought the 1 chambers tonight and i plan on putting them rught before the rear axel.. i know that you want to put them in the back like stock.. i am not sure if it will work.. good luck though
Old 09-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question

Hey, if you get a chance, let us know where you got it done, I am looking for a good exh shop in the Austin area and I haven't really had any luck as of yet, thanks!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like this...however, I now have the option of dumps or tailpipes since I put three bolt flanges on the tail pipes. If you have your system done, run the pipes under the axle. You will have two different setups and you can change them in about 10 minutes. I prefer the dumped sound.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup that is what i am doing right uner the axel too..
Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got mine mounted pretty much where Andy has his, but mine are about 2" further towards the rear of the vehicle. Putting them there gave me the best ground clearance, ~3" under the mufflers and I'm lowered 1.75".
Old 09-25-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I've got mine mounted pretty much where Andy has his, but mine are about 2" further towards the rear of the vehicle. Putting them there gave me the best ground clearance, ~3" under the mufflers and I'm lowered 1.75".

see he has the CENTER/CENTER.. i want to put mine at the rear too.. Where do you think they should be at? Exactly where are yours at?? Can you post your exhaust? and you have 3" under and are lowered WOW.. how is the clearance??

Let me know.. my exhaust guy is kind of wearious of the placement....
Old 09-25-2006, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2.5", not 3"----put yours right about where Andy has his pictured above and you'll have tons of room, especially at stock ride height.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome guys. I went to a few exhaust shops today and got a big difference in prices. Upwards of $700 to $300 ish. Thats with me supplying the mufflers and tips too. I know the guy at the cheaper shop. The owner will be doing the work and me right there pointing out how I want it. He does great work and is a perfectionist. It'll be under the axle and its aluminized steel so it won't rust. Unfortuneately its not manderal bent, but their really isn't sharpe turns. If their is...i'll get him do something about it.

SSlither....I don't know when I'm going to do it, but I'll tell you how it goes!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Hey guys, my local peeps keep telling me under the axle won't work. I explained to them and showed them the TD's sticky, but they don't believe it. Am I right? In my logic, I think it will be fine and not scrap or crush like they say.

How much clearance does the pipes need to clear the sway bar/axle when the suspension unloads some? Some times I think that that it'll be easier do go over the axle. I mean, my labor guy will have my other exhuast off to copy the bends to go over. Another reason is he won't have to weld 4 flanges on my pipes so I can take of the exhaust to drop the axle if I were to go under. Worst case is it hits the upper panhard bar and I buy that aftermarket one!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the exact same set up as the car up there with the one chambers and extensions
Old 09-26-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Hey guys, my local peeps keep telling me under the axle won't work. I explained to them and showed them the TD's sticky, but they don't believe it. Am I right? In my logic, I think it will be fine and not scrap or crush like they say.

How much clearance does the pipes need to clear the sway bar/axle when the suspension unloads some? Some times I think that that it'll be easier do go over the axle. I mean, my labor guy will have my other exhuast off to copy the bends to go over. Another reason is he won't have to weld 4 flanges on my pipes so I can take of the exhaust to drop the axle if I were to go under. Worst case is it hits the upper panhard bar and I buy that aftermarket one!

you can see my pics in the sticky... i ahve 3" under the axel.. show him mine then

he is being lazy
Old 09-26-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, i've seen your pics. They are helpful. How much clearance does the pipes need to clear the sway bar/axle when the suspension unloads some?

CNVRTmyZ - Pics please???!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:34 PM
That's what she said...

That exhaust guy has a problem with thinking outside the ☻ .

The exhaust running under the car will be lower than the portion going under the axle. My system actually TURNED UP before it passed under the rear sway bar. I only had 1-1/2" or so between the swaybar and the tails, but they were not a problem. You car being lowered that much, you will have NO problem, as you will have even MORE clearance under the axle (relative to the rest of the system).

If he can make it tuck well from the headers to the backseat, you should have no problems. Make sure you put flanges right before the rear end though.

He wants to run it over the axle 'cause he's skurr'd, and because he wants to charge you more. I printed out pics of DVST8OR's car and took them to the exhaust shop, they said no problem, and built it.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Ya...you saved the day! Actually, I told my exhaust guy I wanted it under just so I wouldn't scare him off. He never asked me about going over, but he did want me to buy his X pipe.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya...you saved the day! Actually, I told my exhaust guy I wanted it under just so I wouldn't scare him off. He never asked me about going over, but he did want me to buy his X pipe.
my x pipe is for sale
Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

I'm going H style! Thanks though.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm going H style! Thanks though.

LOL that is why X is for Sale.. on Thursday i am putting on my H and 1 chamber Flows
Old 09-26-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
LOL that is why X is for Sale.. on Thursday i am putting on my H and 1 chamber Flows
Yea, I read your posts of questions about TD's. You posted those vids in the sticky right? You will have the same setup I want! PLEASE POST A VID. I really wanna hear that. You do have the LTs on right?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

You know, this is what flows out the back with an x pipe sounds like. I like.

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/58cc7...2501480cf9.htm