Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking oil pressure?

Since my cars gauge showed no oil pressure i went ahead and started to replace the sending unit. But just to be safe I want to check the pressure with a manual guage. besides tapping into the sending unit where else could i attach a manual testing gauge on the block? Also what PSI should i be showing at idel?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:26 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tap into the system right above the oil filter I believe. Search for oil pressure guages and such for more info. You may also look in the forced induction section for help, as they use that for turbo oiling I believe.

At cold idle you should be running 40psi or so, and maby drop off to 30psi. I have a ported/shimmed oil pump so it is about +10psi on each of those values.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

is the oil pressure gauge in the car accurate?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Ok, I just finished changing the oil sending switch and still shows 0 psi. when i called the dealer he said somthing about it being a 4 prong conector, the oil switch i changed only had a 1 prong but i did see a 4 prong next to it. does the 4 prong sensor/switch have anything to do with the gauge and if not what is it, it is right next to the oil pressure switch.