Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready for TDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready for TDs

Ok, Im planning on getting a local shop to make me some TDs.
I have read the sticky, but I want some advice from you guys.

I am keeping the mac mids, I don't plan on lowering anytime soon, so 3" will be ok?, should I go 3"all the way out?
I want to use an H pipeand moroso spirals, should I buy the H or let the shop get it, and what brand should I get?
Im going under the axle and out the back, where should I put the spirals? and should I put flanges before the axle to make dropping the rear easier?
Im going to try and go ORH if the shop will let me.

anything else I would need to know before going in.

THanks in advance guys

JD
Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember seeing Blur's under the axle setup and he had flanges where you speak of, and it seems like a briliant idea to me. Nice choice on the spirals, I have 'em and LOVE them, they are back near the tq arm mounting point, a bit in front of them towards the front of the car. I have a clip in my sig, but they're LTs, and an X not H pipe (mind if I ask why H over X?). As for 3" vs 2.5", odds are you WONT grow out of 3" duals, unless you're putting some serious power to the ground, IMO. H pipe AFAIK is just straight pipe joined with a crossover, might as well just have the shop do it (shouldn't be brain surgery, I made an H with my brother in law, and I've welded maybe twice in my life). Enjoy!

-J

EDIT: looks like I'm not very well informed on H pipes... maybe this can help https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/592427-help-me-decide-h-pipe-setup-go.html
Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im wanting an H because not many people have them, and I just can't believe there is that much difference in power from one to the other. And ill take better sound over a couple HP.

But I just talked to my local shop(friend of my grandpa's) and he acted like putting TDs on my car would be a serious job. "with stainless, and welding in the flanges where you want them, your probably looking at $1500" "there is a reason why they don't have TDs stock on that car" and he said he HAD to put the cats back in. HA, I guess he doesn't know much about exhaust or F-bodys.
So ill be looking else where....

EDIT:
just talked to Pro-Formance Exhaust in ocala, and he told me it would be around $380 plus tips. but I would have to 2.5" non mandrel bent. But he said he'd go over the axle.
SOmething else he told me is "you can't get the O2 sims anymore, we can use the ones you have now, hold on to them there like gold"
Also he said he would bring in a guy named rob, who owns a firehawk do do it for me, so thats a plus...

Last edited by JDJP; 10-17-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1500 is absurd IMO, regardless of over or under the axle. That other shop sounds like a way better deal, plus it would seem they know a good bit more of what to expect. As for the 02 sim issue, last time I checked they aren't exactly drying up in the well. Maybe I'm late on current events tho. Can't argue with the H getting better sound, good luck man and get some vids when it's done

-J