Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When should you change wires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When should you change wires?

I just tried a search and the function is not working. My question is real simple; When should the stock wires be swapped out? I know GM says the first tune-up is at 100k miles, but that as we all know is very optomistic. My car has the factory wires on it and 85k miles. The car still runs real good with no missfires or ignition issues. In fact, the #'s in my sig were done this past Saturday at E-Town on 85K mile wires (60K since the long block was replaced). Would it benifit me any to change them out? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:33 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could change them out for a nice set of MSD's. Some people are going the LS2 wire route. I have the Taylor wires on one car, and let me say.....go with anything but that. I had my stockers on for about 55k, and changed them out with heads/cam/injectors/intake...ect. Can't tell you if they made a difference....lol, ya know?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock wires are actually pretty good wires, if the car runs good then i'd just hold off until you actually need to get new wires. you won't notice a difference by changing them
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't really need to replace the stockers unless one gets damaged....that's the only reason I put msd's on mine. I do like the way the boots are flexible to bend them away from header tubes though.....couldn't do that with the stockers.