Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

qtp ory issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default qtp ory issues

i just got my headers and y pipe after a long time of saving because i wanted a stainless steel header I realy like the way the headers went in and the way they look...but the y-pipe is another story. I just want to know if any one running the qtp ory has a mount for the hanger that goes to the transmission(it scares me that the engine is holding up the exhaust)? And anybody has pics of how low the left side of there y-pipe hangs. I took the car to my buddies exhaust shop and any way we set the y pipe is still only sits about 2.5 inches and more in some places from the body. And also on the subject anybody running a body mounted torque arm with this set up?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

mine is around 2- 2 1/2 inches away also,and that is with multiple adjustments.the header seems to hang alittle lower on the driver side on mine.i'm lowered alot and needless to say it scrapes BAD !
Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

I have the cat'd Y-pipe, and it's pretty similar...

Now are you saying you have 2.5" of clearance from the body or the ground. It sounds like you mean the ground, because if you were 2.5" from the body, you'd be awfully close to the ground. Anyways...

Try loosening the ENTIRE exhaust. This sounds like a pain, and will be a pain if you have welded it. I've found that adjustments at the front of the exhaust can sometimes be effected by how the rear is adjusted, hense the reason why exhaust is adjusted from the front on the vehicle to the rear.

You don't indicate whether-or-not you have SFCs, but I have SLP SFCs and trying to get the Y-pipe on was not fun. Because of the first bend, off the colllector, there was no room to fit the SFC and the Y-pipe, so I ended up trimming sections of the left leg, carefully, to get about .5" to 1.0" clearance between the two. After my cats' went bad, I changed my set-up to hanging both cats' off the collectors, adding a 90* bend and a leg from after the driver's side cat' to make up for cutting off that cat. I have found this set-up is cleaner, fits under the car better, and gives all-around better clearance.

I also have a Spohn floor-mount TA and had not had any clearance problems with this set-up,but definately get the "LT version".

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Teching In

i have about 2 inchs from the floor board to the top of the y pipe... i loosend the exhaust at all the points and no better then before. I think i am just going to bend a new piece of pipe for the left side collecter and go from there. I think i can pick up a good 1.5 inches at least. I don't have subframe connecters yet. i think i am going to go with the umi weld in units and there torque arm but i am still figureing out how i am going to get a drive shaft loop in there....i love modding my car