Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11 Volts causing power loss??? Alternator is dead or dying

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 Volts causing power loss??? Alternator is dead or dying

In my swapped car, the alternator either appears to be dead or dying as I can't get more than 11 volts.

My car has been making low power (400 rwhp and 360 rwtq). Could this partially be due to the low voltage? The dyno graph shows no break up.

I plan on swapping out the alternator on Friday which hopefully will fix the problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

IIRC, the alternator that Dexter brought the shop to install on the car was used. If you can drive it to your local autoparts store, they can test both the battery and the alternator to see if either are on their last leg.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
IIRC, the alternator that Dexter brought the shop to install on the car was used. If you can drive it to your local autoparts store, they can test both the battery and the alternator to see if either are on their last leg.
The car has had 2 alternators both supposedly rebuilt. The first one was DOA. The second one has been acting up for some time now (switching from 14 Volts to 11 Volts) and has since just stayed at 11 Volts.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree.. have the system checked...What year Alternator and PCM are you using ?

Is the 11 volts the same at the battery or ?.. if it is the same, then it is already dead. it maybe just not getting activated correctly!?