Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP blowing fuses

I looked around but no one seems to have had this issue.

I wired up my qtp hot to the TCS red, ground to TCS ground, and plugged in the dc combo to the unit. At key on, I get the white light on the switch (which is brand new) to light up, but when I try to push the switch either way, the little 1A fuse blows and it's dead.

Alternatively I wired up the positive to the radio hot, and the ground grounded to an actual steel part under the console. None of the iterations have produced rsults beyond lighting up the switch until I push one way or another.

Even more bizzare - this thing worked for months before, with the old switch. Thought the switch blew out, but replacing it is doing nothing for me.

I checked all the fuses in the dash AND under the hood. None of them are blown. Perhaps related, perhaps not - my dash lights do not work, but the bulbs are good (I pulled the AC head unit and the bulbs in that are fine.

I hate electronics. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I had mine in they were wired up to the spare cigarette lighter and I never had a problem.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Launching!

How old is the cut-out?

It defenitly sounds like a short somewhere in the system.
I would check the following:
- Make sure the I-wire isn't pinched anywhere
- Check the connections at the bottom of the switch under the tape to make sure nothings crossed or loose
-Did you possibly bottom out and could something have hit the cut-out?

If you can't figure it out, give us a call 201-444-0998
Old 02-16-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards that I wire. The fact that I get power up but it blows the fuse when I try to activate the motor either way makes me think you are right Alex...down stream of the switch to the motor. I would check the switch, but I JUST got it from you guys yesterday. Literally.

My other switch had a wire or two come off from the bottom, and I have no idea how to reterminate it, so I got a new one...and can put the old one back using this one as a guide. But there is no reason a new switch shouldn't work.

All the other wires I can see from start to finish, or are factory and have not been touched (eg the TCS wire). My entire console, stereo and AC are out.

I can't remember how old it is, but it is not really old and was not on a car for half of it's life anyway. I did consider that, but I really think I am shorting somewhere and just cannot figure it out.

The motor showed no signs of problems immediately before it stopped working. In fact it was sealing nicely and I never had a problem with it. It stopped working when I removed it along with the rest of my exhaust. Negative on bottoming out or physical damage.

Thanks for the input you guys. Sometimes on electronics it helps to have another perspective.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alex you were right on. The pos and neg wires were gouged at the end of the gray jacket by the motor. They were shorting together right there. I cleaned them up, popped in a new fuse and was ready in time to use it at the track. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like a nice and easy fix
Old 02-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Glad to help!