Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR Removal with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well mine threw a code, no biggie.. I will just pull the fuse. ran my scan tool and it came right up "air injection pump"
Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after a few stops while running around I noticed when the pump came on it was extra loud without the hoses connected to it. So how do I disconnect this thing without it throwing the code? If it comes off will it constantly throw the code over and over again? Finally can someone recommend a good scanner?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

Good write up, but why are yall removing your EGR? We need it here in Missouri, it's the law. lol
Old 07-17-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 H.O.S.S.
Good write up, but why are yall removing your EGR? We need it here in Missouri, it's the law. lol
It's not necessary in a lot of places. Here in Houston they tend to check the ECM for codes, but not look under the hood or under the car. So as long as the ECM has the codes deleted, it will pass just fine. Also keep in mind the 01 and 02 cars came without EGR.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Oncw you put headers on a car the air system doesn't work right, so IMO, there never really shoudl have been headers made with the provisions for it in the first place. Plus, once you get to about 600 hp, the emmissions fittings like to blow off the headers, ask me how I know, it put an end to my day at the pinks allout shoot at MIR in june.

As for EGR, that is garbage too.... whoever came up with the idea of pumping dirty burnt exchaust gasses back into the intake is an idiot, it makes the entire intake and intake ports get coated with even more **** then the pcv (another bad idea) puts in there. You want the intake and the air going into it to be cold and clean, not hot and dirty LOL.

Once headers go on, ripping the air and egr off should be mandatory, eliminating the PCV and putting some breathers on also a very good idea at this point. I would bet that even if you take it off, just remove the stickers from under the hood and an emmissions guy probably wouldn't even notice it gone, it's not like they have every car memorized as to what it should look like.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by -Freak-
Any clue why they would come on a while after removing them? Is the computer just taking time to adjust to the O2 sensors reading less or more of something?

I will let you guys know if the light comes on once i get it on the road.
If you remove the pipes from the manifolds without removing the entire system, it will throw codes because of the lack of exhaust pressure into the AIR system.

Deleting the entire system on the other hand, I'm not sure, my codes were deleted prior to removal.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

removed my air sys when i did my headers
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's a good scanner for removing these codes?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Datzneat
I had some knowledgable guys at MTI do it. They not only got rid of the codes, but a few more that they knew from experience would pop up down the line once I put the headers on. They used a laptop and I think LS1edit.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know of any handheld scanners that can do it, I had mine done at Straightline Performance (Sponsor).
Old 07-21-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try getting ls1edit. I'm tired of hearing it whine on start up. Think plugging it will shut it up for now?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll try getting ls1edit. I'm tired of hearing it whine on start up. Think plugging it will shut it up for now?
No, the motor will still run.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks JasonWW and JL ws-6
Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So yeah, what will removing the system on an 02 do with stock manifolds? Also, what do you gain from removing it?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
So yeah, what will removing the system on an 02 do with stock manifolds? Also, what do you gain from removing it?
This is a quote from a guy in my local fbody club.

If your wondering what the AIR and EGR systems do, read the following. Thank Matt87GTA from MNFbody for the details.

The AIR system (pump) is, like Freak said, there to pump fresh air into the exhaust manifolds to lower harmful emissions. It does this in several ways. Basically the air being pumped into the exhaust manifolds "reburns" excess fuel on cold startups to lower the levels of Hydrocarbons (HC) in the exhaust and warm up the catalytic converters so they can reach their operating temps faster. Much like a choke on a carb'd vehicle, the cold start routines on EFI engines will inject more fuel into the engine during cold starts to aid in starting, staying running, and to warm up the engine and its emissions equipment (catalytic converters) faster. The extra fuel will be too much for the engine to fully burn in the cylinders and this results in unspent fuel being present in the exhaust. The additional air being pumped in by the AIR will react with that heated but unburned fuel and burn in the manifolds which warms the exhaust temperatures up significantly which in turn warms up the catalytic converters. Catalytic converters need to be warmed up to be effective at reducing HC levels and NOx levels and such in the exhaust. Once the catalytic converters are up to temp, the AIR will turn off (this is a preset routine in some applications but some (newer systems) will moniter O2 sensor activity and stop the AIR system once the catalytic converters show a reduction in emissions indicating they are up to temp).

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. This valve opens to allow small amounts of exhaust gas to flow into the intake manifold. Exhaust gas is inert and therefore cannot be a party to the combustion process. This effectively cools the cylinder since less combustion can take place on a given power stroke. The cooling of the cylinder serves to lower the chances of NOx being generated by the engine which are generally believed to be harmful emissions and can only be a byproduct of combustion at extremely high temperatures. The EGR also, as some of you might have guessed already, allows you to run more timing advance and require less fuel during engine operation without taking the chance of superheating the pistons and other parts of the combustion chamber. That means it will increase mileage and lower emissions - two things the OEMs are very excited about. The EGR will only operate, as nikos95 stated, at part throttle though and its overall impact on mileage is really quite small in the grand scheme of things.

For us (performance enthusiasts), the EGR is mostly useless. The increase in mileage is going to be measured in the tenths of a MPG usually and we really don't care much about emissions (even if we did care about emissions, the amount we produce running around at WOT all the time far offsets anything an EGR valve can ever do when we are at part throttle). And the EGR valve and all of its plumbing and wiring is annoying and ugly. A lot of newer engines do not even bother with an EGR system as the processing power of the ECMs/PCMs and accuracy of their engine management operating systems and calibrations is far beyond those of the engines in the past that really needed an EGR to be sort of efficient and not pump lots of NOx into the atmosphere. The AIR system is probably here to stay until they come up with a type of catalytic converter that doesn't require being heated up to do its thing.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Teching In

I pulled the grey relay that activates mine before removing it, stops it running on startup. its in the engine bay near the fuses.

Since then I completly removed the whole thing, all pipework, motor etc. deleted the codes with EFILive. works fine!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

I did this mod today and it is really easy. I didn't even jack up the car or put it on ramps. Definitely a must do!!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Since that long qoute didn't really answer your question, I will say that it cleans up the underhood area as far as looks, makes changing spark plugs easier and gets rid of the start-up noise from the pump. Maybe someone else can mention another benefit.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Since that long qoute didn't really answer your question, I will say that it cleans up the underhood area as far as looks, makes changing spark plugs easier and gets rid of the start-up noise from the pump. Maybe someone else can mention another benefit.
It also helps remove heat from under the hood and at least for me quit cooking my dash....
Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

HEy guys I removed the 4 bolts on the AIR pump, Now what ???? Do I just pull it out ????

Quick Reply: AIR Removal with PICS!