Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals and exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals and exhaust set up

Im going to be looking into headers and my exhaust set up, I just want to know where to look for a nice set up I mean where do you get your ideas, cause I would like to have a real nice set up and would like to go with x-pipes, but what I lack is knowledge. I don't exactly know what cut outs, cat backs and the whole terminology (working on it lol) for the exhaust setup on the ls1 cars....

Thanks in advanced
Old 03-15-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ypipe - factory or aftermarket unit that merges the exhaust coming from each bank of the v8 into one pipe.

cat back - term typically used for an aftermarket exhaust that replaces the stock unit from the catalytic converters back, following stock or near stock routing. on the later lt1s and the ls1s...they are more like Ypipe-backs...since they don't replace any of the ypipe. they start at the merge of the ypipe and go back.

Xpipe - a crossover setup that is used for true dual pipes. it merges the exhaust from each side of the engine, then splits it back up into 2 pipes. helps equalize pressure between sides, boosting power a little bit

cutout - a muffler bypass setup. basically a Y in the pipe somewhere, one leg goes through the muffler, the other can be uncapped an allows un-mufflered exhaust flow. nice way to boost performance and sound for CHEAP.

what are you plans for the car? budget? tolerance for noise? all that will dictate the best exhaust for your application.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stickies are you best friend right now. Read them.