Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this exhaust idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thoughts on this exhaust idea?

I have been trying to decide between having a custom Y made with the Flowmaster merge or going true duals, but I just had another idea.

(All of the pipes that are 4" pipes/muffler could be substituted with 3.5" pipes depending on what you think flow would be, and the price)

I would have the guy at the shop fab everything behind the headers, starting off with the custom Y made with the Flowmaster merge(3" in/4" out.) after that I would have it go back with a 4" pipe with a 4" muffler in the I-pipe. Then it would go up and over the axle with the 4" pipe, and split into two 3" pipes to go into the tips.

Now I have a couple questions about that idea.

How well would it flow compared to the Y with the flowmaster merge and the Hooker catback or duals (power/times).

What would be a good muffler to keep it fairly quiet, but deep (I like the XR-1 sound)?

How loud would it be compared to duals with the two 3" mufflers?

Just in general, do you think this is a good idea, or no (it would be about $850 for duals, and maybe $125 to make just the custom y, and I don't have a quote on this new idea yet)?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your idea is really unique. Props on that! But, it wont flow aswell as just regular duals. It seems like there is too much bending in the piping, so that probably would restict flow. XR-1's wont be the loudest but it will still have a very nice deep rumble. I would just go with either a Y pipe to a catback kind of system or just straight duals.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't think there would need to be much bending of the pipes at all. Since it's all one unit the pipes don't need to be curved even as much as a normal Y-pipe back to the merge, and then after the merge the only bends would be up over the axle and back down, and then turning out the rear, which both the duals and normal catback have to do anyway.

I would like this to be quiet too, but I don't know how loud this would be with the one slightly bigger muffler vs. the two slightly smaller ones in the duals.

Basically I'm trying to come up with a cheaper way to get similar gains as I would with duals, since I am in college and don't have a lot of extra money.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I completley understand where your coming from. I would probably just go with a universal x pipe kit from summit or jegs to save yourself money.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Teching In

You arent going to see the same gains as you would from duals, because your setup wouldnt have the scavenging effect that true duals enjoy.