Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM cover removal (2nd topic post)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM cover removal (2nd topic post)

Anyone know how, I squeeze both ends of the cover but it gets hung up in the middle. I need to get to the 10 pin for the tach wire. The center bolt seems to hold it in place but when unscrewed it just loosens the whole pcm !, Anyone ?

Install U doesn't tell about this "hold up" maybe 2002 specific ?, Help !
Old 03-29-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you trying to remove or replace some pin's.

You don't have to remove the screw, just losen the screw to remove the wire harness/connector from the PCM.

You should be able to just remove the Gray cover by pushing the tabs in and pulling it off.. it may resist some, a third hand will help. But you only have to do this to route the wires and/or push the pins through.

From the PCM side of the connector.. also push the tabs in on the red/blue connector part and can be pulled off.. again, some resistance and a 3rd hand can help (Hold, push and pull).

It is really not that hard, but a word of warning, you can break some of the tabs if you push on the tabs to hard or are pulling the connector (gray, red or blue) when the tabs are not fully depressed out. Its one of those thing, once you did it the 1st time. it is really simple and you can kick yourself knowing that it was that easy.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK, I'll try the 3rd hand, don't see red or blue, All PCM covers look to be grey to me.
Nice post Count, I used to hang out in Concord back in the late 80's. Reminds me of the BART. Anyhow, lookin for the 10 pin for a tach splice for the window switch.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Red and Blue covers are on the PCM side of the connector, if your just trying to tap in the Tach wire.. you don't have to remove either of them. But the Gray ones will come off!
If you break them. there are replacements, but you don't really need them, just a good Idea to have them.

Are you still in the area ?.. Friday nights at the Baja Fresh @ Sun Valley Mall is a hang out now.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

No down in San Diego now. I used to work at Oaknkoll Naval Hosptal in Oakland, lived in San Leandro n Hayward. Loved that bridge (San Mateo) fn haul ash and no place for cops to hide.

Anyways someone said I can also tag into the G pin middle connector of the 3 over the pasenger side Fender. Maybe I'll get this kit in by Sunday !

Quick Reply: PCM cover removal (2nd topic post)