Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had an idea for a sleeper exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just had an idea for a sleeper exhaust...

I don't know why I just randomly thouhgt of this, but I did. Maybe because shops were complaining to me that they couldn't get two pipes over the axle.

Anyway, my idea is you could take an X-pipe, and at the end of it you would put two cutouts. After the cutouts you would take the pipe back into a single pipe up and over the axle into the stock catback, and then out the back.

You could do whatever you wanted to make it quiet down in the back if it wasn't quiet enough with just the stock catback. You could put cats, or you could put bullet mufflers in there somewhere, or something like that.

Then it would be quiet and look stock, but then you open the cutouts right after the X-pipe and the person you are racing has there ears explode from the noise and their eyes go wide when you put 3 bus lengths on them in the 1/4 ...

Here's a quick sketch...
Old 04-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Banned

Back to the drawing board....thats what cutouts are made for, except IMO it would be more beneficial to put them at the header collector. Forget the x and all just put them at the collectors and run a stock cat back, just as good, less custom work, less weight.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Only the X is supposed to increase power from the scavenging, correct? That is the main reason I didn't choose to get a custom y with 2 cutouts behind the headers, instead of the duals I am getting.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

have u heard duals ran all the way out the back? they have a pretty tame idle. ur cutouts would be right after the bullets where a dumped system normally ends, but ur dual pipes would go over or under the axle out the back. cutout closed=sleeper / cutout open=rasing hell / either way=u have true duals
Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

I know, I am actually getting duals over the axle out the back put on right now.

The whole point of this is to have the stock catback back there and to quiet it down with other things if necessary. I'm not trying to make huge power with the cutouts closed, that isn't the point. The point with them closed is to be quiet with the stock appearance. When they are open is all that matters for performance. I tried to place them where it would be the most beneficial in regards to power, so if two cutouts behind the headers really makes as much power as an X pipe then I guess I made a mistake with my car.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:32 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Carlos Mencia.... stop ripping other people's **** off....

JK, I actually drew this up an posted it back in December/January '06, can't find the thread now. Search won't pull up any threads I've made in this section for some reason.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Haha, wow. You know what, I think I remember that from a long time ago actually... maybe this idea wasn't completely my own... lol, sry
Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Banned

An X pipe isn't going to increase power over open headers. I'm not saying your idea is a bad one, in fact it probably won't even make a difference if you put them before or after the X.
But the drawing does show a system thats going to be expensive and cluttered up under the car. And heavy.
A car with LT's, cutouts right behind them and a stock Y and rear exhaust will run just as fast with the cutouts open.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

I think the X will add more power and tq because of scavenging.

Quick Reply: Just had an idea for a sleeper exhaust...