Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used heads, been massaged, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Used heads, been massaged, have questions

I landed a set of used ls1 heads from a guy I work with. Story I got was that these heads came off of a corvette that had been bought in Texas and driven to California. Went to a GM garage for an oil change, found coolant in the oil. Pulled the heads, found port work had been done so they sent them out to be checked for leaks. Apparently the #2 intake runner has a leak. They replaced the heads and this guy kept the take offs. Hes had them for a couple years and told me he'd take $200 for them. Plus, he still has all of the springs, retainers, valves and valve keepers also, which I get. I can tell you these heads are definitely p'n'p'ed, they've been milled (don't know how much, but can see the difference next to some stockers), the retainers are titanium, the valves are aftermarket and oversized (intake and exhaust) and the springs are soe sort of dual spring setup.

Ive found some numbers stamped in the sides of the heads that my stockers don't have. Im hoping to find out who did the work and maybe get some info on these things. Here are some pics:

This reads 9-20-97

Im guessing this is the serial number that whoever did the work stamped on.

this looks to me like an old school H.D. spring that GM used on some 400cu.in. truck motors back in the day.

retainer

For the money I couldn't have gone wrong. But my question is does anyone recognize the numbers on these? Do they look like anyone elses heads? Im assuming the work was done in Texas at a speed shop. I know they came off of a 98 something because they are perimeter bolt valve cover design. Also, has anyone used springs like these before? Im curious to know who's they are.

Thanks guys and give me your opinions.