Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is gmmg too loud....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is gmmg too loud....

I just bought a car and it has the magnaflow cat back on it. my buddy is looking to buy that system off of me and i am not sure what to go with. i may just keep this one, i am not sure yet. i assume there wont' be any power differences between gmmg and magnaflow but i wasn't 100% sure. i do have longtubes with a tsp y-pipe. i don't want the car much louder than it is now and i hear the magnaflow is a pretty quiet system. will the gmmg be too loud? i would consider corsa or something along those lines but gmmg has a special going and i really don't want to spend over $650 for a complete catback.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will be prety loud with long tubes and y and raspy too..a lot of cat back is kinda raspy with full exhaust and no cats..i liked the mufflex 4" cat back to my stock exhaust. it screamed at wot not to loud otherwise. check out ls1sounds.com all the sounds you'll need
Old 05-13-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I have GMMG with a Catted Y Pipe not that loud.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing is too loud. You dont want it to sound like a Ford Taurus.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cals400ex
I just bought a car and it has the magnaflow cat back on it. my buddy is looking to buy that system off of me and i am not sure what to go with. i may just keep this one, i am not sure yet. i assume there wont' be any power differences between gmmg and magnaflow but i wasn't 100% sure. i do have longtubes with a tsp y-pipe. i don't want the car much louder than it is now and i hear the magnaflow is a pretty quiet system. will the gmmg be too loud? i would consider corsa or something along those lines but gmmg has a special going and i really don't want to spend over $650 for a complete catback.
If you want something a little quieter than Magnaflow, go with Hooker. GMMG will be louder than the Magnaflow. Also, check out LS1sounds.com, it will help give you an idea what you are looking for.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by J E T
If you want something a little quieter than Magnaflow, go with Hooker. GMMG will be louder than the Magnaflow. Also, check out LS1sounds.com, it will help give you an idea what you are looking for.
+1 for the above. I have a friend with M6 SS and a Magnaflow system sound good, not too loud, but I have a friend with a 408 WS6 and GMMG, kind of too loud. It does sound good, but way louder than the SS w/Magnaflow.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:03 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will not be true dual loud that is for sure.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Resident

GMMG = louder than magnaflow
GMMG = flows better than magnaflow
GMMG + cats = no rasp
GMMG w/out cats = raspy
Magnaflow w/out cats = raspy

if rasp is your concern, both are raspy without cats. GMMG will perform better, but will be louder. if you're like me, you'll think the louder it is, the better it is (unless it's raspy and assuming it sounds good).

are you going with LT's? if you keep stock manifolds, i see no reason why GMMG would be too loud. LT's+ORY...then it starts getting loud.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-13-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

the magnaflow is not too loud for my tastes. it isn't a daily driver. i am one of those who does not think louder is better. i do want a good tone though. i have no complaints with the magnaflow but a buddy wants to buy it and i am thinking about selling it. the sound clips are just too hard to tell how loud the cars actually are. i do have magnaflow cats on the car, plus the rasp isn't a huge concern. a little louder than the magnaflow would be fine with me. i just dont' want the interior to rattle like crazy and it be annoying.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by J E T
i have the hooker and i like it
Old 05-13-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
GMMG = louder than magnaflow
GMMG = flows better than magnaflow
GMMG + cats = no rasp
GMMG w/out cats = raspy
Magnaflow w/out cats = raspy

if rasp is your concern, both are raspy without cats. GMMG will perform better, but will be louder. if you're like me, you'll think the louder it is, the better it is (unless it's raspy and assuming it sounds good).

are you going with LT's? if you keep stock manifolds, i see no reason why GMMG would be too loud. LT's+ORY...then it starts getting loud.
you can just cross that "flows better" part right off the list. if there is any difference between the two, it is nominal
Old 05-13-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI, his car used to be mine.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1999ssls1
Nothing is too loud. You dont want it to sound like a Ford Taurus.

W3rd... It all depends on your tollerance for 'loud'

I, for instance, think my LT ORY Borla w/ no plate is actually quiet. But I love the little bit of rasp.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
W3rd... It all depends on your tollerance for 'loud'

I, for instance, think my LT ORY Borla w/ no plate is actually quiet. But I love the little bit of rasp.
just wait til you get a cam in there, i bet you wouldnt call it any kind of quiet after that
Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The GMMG is pleasantly loud. The type of loud that will put a smile on your face. I'm anxious to get my cam in to see what it does. I have a sound clip in my sig, and from there, click on "From: 320607" and you can see all the clips I've uploaded. There are some other GMMG clips there also. Top 3 are with Kooks, other are stock manifolds.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
The GMMG is pleasantly loud. The type of loud that will put a smile on your face. I'm anxious to get my cam in to see what it does. I have a sound clip in my sig, and from there, click on "From: 320607" and you can see all the clips I've uploaded. There are some other GMMG clips there also. Top 3 are with Kooks, other are stock manifolds.
that cam is gonna make your car twice as loud man, no kidding. I hope you like LOUD! it will sound damn good but will be loud as hell
Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
that cam is gonna make your car twice as loud man, no kidding. I hope you like LOUD! it will sound damn good but will be loud as hell
Hell yeah! I'm fiending to install it. I'd love it really loud, as long as it's a good loud, not like a BLAHHHH nasty loud. Deep, no rasp and loud will work just fine.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Hell yeah! I'm fiending to install it. I'd love it really loud, as long as it's a good loud, not like a BLAHHHH nasty loud. Deep, no rasp and loud will work just fine.
Ive had a couple different exhaust setups with chambered round mufflers like the GMMG's and i havent liked them is why i say that. It will sound great at WOT and at idle, but part throttle might be a diff story. Who knows, maybe im just picky about my exhaust
Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

We'll see I guess. It did take me a little while going from stock manifolds/GMMG to Longtubes/GMMG. While it was only about 9 months apart, it was my daily driver at the time. It was a very different sound with LTs and took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. I'm sure with a cam it will be the same. It will sound radically different, so I'll give it time to get used to it to make sure I like it. I've got a pretty good feeling I will though. I'm not uber-picky.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Second Club

We'll see I guess. It did take me a little while going from stock manifolds/GMMG to Longtubes/GMMG. While it was only about 9 months apart, it was my daily driver at the time. It was a very different sound with LTs and took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. I'm sure with a cam it will be the same. It will sound radically different, so I'll give it time to get used to it to make sure I like it. I've got a pretty good feeling I will though. I'm not uber-picky.

im just trying to let you know, the projection of exhaust noise is SO much greater with a cam. My buddies blown LT ORX GTO with the same mufflers as me is MUCH quieter even making more power. IF you dont get on it all the time, it will be fine. And it will be FUN when you want to attract some attention

I like the sound of the GMMG's alot