Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly entails a "built motor"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What exactly entails a "built motor"

I know this may seem like a stupid question to some , but i had to ask. I hear a lot of people in the force induction section talking about a built motor to handle more boost , which is why i ask. I know what the concept is , but i want to know what exactly what is done. Is it forged internals , crank, block ,what? Thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

It generally refers to forged internal components and to some extent; blueprinting. But more to forged internals and upgraded key parts to prevent or minimize failure. The term simply means a motor is "built" to handle big power and a lot of abuse without failure.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear alot of rednecks using that term to describe any engine with internal performance modifications. I actually hear it used to describe other components, such as a "built" transmission or a "built" rear-end. It's kindof a generic, sometimes redneckish term that it used to describe internal performance modifications when the owner really doesn't want to get into the details (or just doesn't know the details). I agree with the above that it generally (but not always) refers to internal modifications (blueprinting, balancing, forged parts, ect). See also; "tricked out", "beefed up", "souped up", ect.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

i would also agree, when i think of "Built" i think of "built to handle more power" i.e. forged internals, etc...
Old 05-16-2007, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Forged internals, guess a heads//cam might be tipping the scales on that... If you see someone turning over 500 at the wheels on the dyno, someone is likely to say it's Built...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

When I think of built, I think of stronger, not more powerful. Souped up would be more power.

And in FI, built refers to upgraded crank, rods, and pistons, all built to handle extreme stresses/heat. Thus, a "built bottom end" is what you'll hear those guys refer to.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

built is what I say to avoid having to list all of my mods at the track or show someplace like that where bored poeple come ask a ton and waste your time.