Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Pipe Joining Clamps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Pipe Joining Clamps?

I see the exhaust clamps that wrap around the pipes and bolt together to join two pipes together without stretching it or welding. I cant see how they could actually seal it without leaks? Can anyone explain the use of these and how they seal the pipes??
Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

band clamps is what u are talking about
Old 05-19-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the band (strap) clamps are great... I purchased a handful from Jeg's because they've got the pre-formed ID/OD clamps... they've sealed up great and I've not had a leak as far as they're concerned... however, from my 2.75" Accuseal on my Y-Pipe, its just not wide enough to be used with an aftermarket Y/Intermediate... so I need to get one of those next.

they seal well because they encompass the entire tube, and make a fairly airtight seal when clamping tightly.

Not everyone uses or sells the pre-formed... but honestly, I'm extremely glad I went with them, since they cost about the same as the regular ones
Old 05-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

they came with my tsp ORY when i bought it i thought the same thing but i never had a problem with them , they seal pretty good look a lot better to than just clamps.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Do band clamps work with same size OD pipe? - butt joint, or do they go around a slip fit joint (on pipe stretched to fit over other pipe)?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red2000SS
Do band clamps work with same size OD pipe? - butt joint, or do they go around a slip fit joint (on pipe stretched to fit over other pipe)?
they seem to work both ways... the pre-molded ones I bought were for slip joint, but there are a lot of people using the flat's for both butt and slip
Old 05-20-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im gonna be putting together 3" header to 3" H-pipe to 3" spiral flows and thought about using them for all of that as long as they seal up good, you really dont spend anymore money than if you have to have someone weld or slip fit and clamp the ****. so just get pre-made 3" inner diameter clamps and butt the ends of the pipes together with this wrapped around it and i should be set?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Pipe Joining Clamps?