Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mac headers install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mac headers install

I'm getting ready to install this weekend and was wondering if I could get a little advise on which way to do it; from the top or from the bottom thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 08:03 PM
dug
Banned

Default Re: mac headers install

I dropped mine in from the top. It took a little wigglin but they went in. The valvecovers were off which makes it a little easier. Most people say they can go in from the top with just the coilpacks off. Removing the coilpacks is a bit of a pain but if you have the patience its not a prob.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Folks have had pretty much equal success either way.

Personally, I'd prefer to install them from the bottom, if you can get the car high enough in the air to do so.

They will slip in fairly easily from the top, but you'll have to remove a few things to help out (mainly the valvecovers).

When I originally installed MAC headers on my car back in '99 (one of the first mods I did), I did them from the bottom, and had to unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine up a tad to have enough room, but you may get away without having to do that.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

I had to do it the same way George did, had to jack the motor up to get enough clearance.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

When I installed the mac headers on my car I did it through the bottom. The driver side was a breeze, but the passanger side was a bit tougher I had to jack the passanger side of the engine without removing the mount and slide it thru the oil pan. I removed the spark plug to prevent breaking them and replaced them with tr6's. just take your time I managed to installed them on lift with a buddy with power tools in less than 3.5 hrs.
GOOD LUCK
Old 05-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info I guess I'll just start pulling the old stuff off first then see which way I'm going to install if it looks good.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valve covers off and in from the top. You just have to find the right way to turn the header as you drop it in and it will be a breeze. No motor jacking, no starter removal.I had them in within 3 1/2 hrs. The Y pipe etc. took another 2 hrs. Total job= 5 1/2 hrs beginning to end. I just pulled them out 2 days ago for my motor swap and they came out the top as easy as they went in.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Both in from the top with valve covers off, had to jack the motor to get the Pass side in.