Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange sqeaking sound....help me diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sqeaking sound....help me diagnose

I have a strange sqeaking sounds coming from the underside of my car. Mostly happens at idle, sometimes at very low speeds (<15 MPH). Sometimes I can push in the clutch and it will seem to go away for a couple of seconds. It will usually show up after driving for 5-10 minutes or in about the same time if I let the car warmup by idling. It IS NOT coming from the engine. Sounds like something in the transmission or clutch area. (Since I can sometimes affect the sound by pushing in the clutch this would seem like a reasonable thought.) Here is the really strange part: I can turn off the car and the sound will seem to sweak to a stop over a 1-3 second period after the engine is off and the crank is dead stopped. It is not a constant pitch sqeak either, it can waiver and change tone will it is fading out. I have no idea what it could be because I expect NOTHING to be rotating and able to cause this sound after the engine is off. Can anybody give me any ideas as to what this may be? I have a new pilot bearing and 2001 slave cylinder read to install. I am in the process of get a new SPEC Stage III clutch (carbon) and a new built, blueprinted T-56 but would really like to know what this is before I rip everything out and install all new...

-Kris