Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about pulleys

Alright i hear a lot about pulleys but what do they actually do. by underdrive does tha tmean that my accesories will work the same or have less power going to them. Im jsut a little confused and am wondering what they do and if it is worth getting them. THanks for all the help.
Dan
Old 05-03-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Questions about pulleys

it means the alternator moves slower so it takes less engine power to drive it which frees up that engine power to drive the wheels. this also makes the alternator not charge your battery as well
edit: and it makes the coolant and stuff flow slower so you may overheat a little more easily
thats my understanding of it but maybe someone else can chime in with a more complete definition
Old 05-03-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

I know the thought of the accessories turning slower might scare some people off, but I have the underdrive crank and underdrive alternator and I have no charging problems at all. I also installed a modded 180 degree thermostat at the same time and it always stays between 180-200. It used to stay at 205-210 all the time. They added a good bit of power too. I would recommend them. Mine are made by ASP.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

ASP pulleys are always sold out for good reason! No issues with mine at all.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I felt more fron the pulley than I did from my lid. I really recommend the pulley. No bad effects at all.