Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerning water & trans temp guages

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Concerning water & trans temp guages

Hi Everyone;

I am interested in adding aftermarket water and transmission temperature guages to my vehicle. My question is not where to place the guages, but where to place the sending units.

I just installed a deeper cast aluminum transmission pan, and the thought of drilling into it does not sit well with me. So here goes:

1. Where would you install the water temperature sending unit?

2. Where would you install the transmission temp sending unit?

Thanks in advance.

SteveC

Old 05-03-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Concerning water & trans temp guages

I'm not very familiar with the 4L60E tranny, but on the T56 all you have to do is take out the drain plug and install the sender using the "big" adapter. If you can't go that route on the auto, you may very well have to tap the pan.

As for the water temp guage, if you look on the driver-side cylinder head near #1 you will see the stock water temp sending unit. On the passenger-side there is an identical hole with a plug in it. The problem is, its back by #8. Or, you can drop the starter and access a location on the block behind the starter. This site may help some. http://xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html

Good Luck!