Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power is this costing me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power is this costing me?

Most of my mods are in my sig. The items of concern are:

2.5" Y pipe with random tech cats
4.10 gears

With my setup I only made 375 rwhp. The car smells like it's running pretty rich, so I am hoping it is the tune that's responsible for the not so great numbers, which is why I am having the car re-tuned on Friday by Mike Norris.

Looking at my mod list, and considering the car is a 98 with stock heads, what is a realistic power goal? Am I wasting money by having it re-tuned again? The guy that tuned the car is no longer in business and the shop was sold to someone else. Mike Norris is going to be on that shop on Friday, so I am hoping he can squeeze a couple more ponies out of it.

I know the 4.10s and 315s will lower the numbers as well a bit.

On the plus side, I do have a cutout now, so maybe that will help it some!

Any guesstimates?

Oh..and here's the dyno sheet from the last tune:

As you can see...they cheated a bit...used STD instead of SAE and 0 smoothing to get the highest peak numbers!

Also...he spend no more than a half hour tuning the car when the cam was added, it was a retune from the car having LS6 intake, headers, and ported TB.

Thanks!

Manny
Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Well the 98 heads are hurting you some, the 315s arent helping any. Combine that with a crappy tune and youre maybe a hair low, but nothing to worry over. New heads would wake it up for sure.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am just wondering if I'll be wasting my money getting it tuned again. But at least I know this time around it will be a better tuner.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I would say it is worth it just to see where your A/F is at. Every time I take my car on a dyno especially for a tune I would want to see the A/F readings.

Also I will be there on Friday as well.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
I would say it is worth it just to see where your A/F is at. Every time I take my car on a dyno especially for a tune I would want to see the A/F readings.

Also I will be there on Friday as well.
Cool...when are you going there? I am gonna show up at around 10 AM I am guessing. Roy said they have a guy in a Vette come in first thing in the morning, but it should be a simple tune, just exhaust.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im going to say ur main area of concern is the 2.5" catted y pipe. switch to a 3" ory and i bet u pick up some ponys. but the db levels will skyrocket.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

The cutouts will get you some better numbers for sure and im sure Mike can make some improvements .

I might be over there friday also ,, we should have a party ! ! ,, hehe
Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are several reasons why I went with the catted 2.5". While I like performance, the guilty feeling of having no cats just was too much to bare, so I ordered the headers and Y with the cats. I am also not a big fan of rasp, and I figured the cats will help control that which they did. The reason for the 2.5" was also twofold: I figured I'd retain more low end torque, and for some crazy reason I thought I would have Y pipe banging clearance issues. I still lost some torque of course, but I don't think it's that bad. I fixed the banging issues.

So that was my reasoning, and I am sticking with this Y pipe, after all, the Headers have 2.5" collectors on them so I can't really use anything else. Also, I paid around 1200 dollars for that setup, I am not about to throw it away. I was told by several people that the headers should not be much of a restriction considering what power level I was shooting for, hence the only small sized TR224.

As you can see, I tried to think this through.... just don't know how good of a job I did doing it!

Oh yeah...another thing that causes more parasitic driveline loss: I have a steel driveshaft!

Manny

Last edited by MannyZ28; 06-20-2007 at 11:39 AM.