Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA + Lid + PTB = HUGE SOTP gains!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FTRA + Lid + PTB = HUGE SOTP gains!!

I just wanted to share my experiences with you fellas about the mods I just did to my car. I basically did them all at once, so I could actually feel the difference. I've always been disappointed in the past with certain mods I've done to other LS1 cars and the lack of a butt dyno gain. I can honestly say that this is the biggest jump in horsepower I have ever experienced from any sort of bolt ons, even LT's. The power difference in the upper RPM's is just incredible, it honestly feels like 30 RWHP easily. And the best part of it is, the whole setup only cost me just over $200. Used parts are your friend.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i call BS, lol j/k. but really tho, more than the lt's??
Old 06-24-2007, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

what's the ftra mod. i know its a dumb question...i'm new!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

what is the ptb. Never heard of it
Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Ported throttle body
Old 06-24-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fast Toys Ram Air
Old 06-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mostly from the lid, PTB but I doubt 30 RWhp, 15rwhp at best.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ptb= ported throttle body
and Ftra is cold air induction takes cold air from under the car and goes under the lid
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FTRA
Old 06-24-2007, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

15 hp at best? Lids add around 10 by themselves. The FTRA has also been proven to drop 1/4 times by .1 consistently. I am not saying that all those mods really did add up to 30 hp, but it sure felt like a great gain. I'm not one to BS fellas, the car honestly feels alot stronger now, especially on the highway.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeG
15 hp at best? Lids add around 10 by themselves. The FTRA has also been proven to drop 1/4 times by .1 consistently. I am not saying that all those mods really did add up to 30 hp, but it sure felt like a great gain. I'm not one to BS fellas, the car honestly feels alot stronger now, especially on the highway.
no i believe you, just buy porting and polishin the T/b helps so much, the stock Tb's are rough and small.

never used the FTRA but im sure it does help alot, and the lid well, that always helps

now do the free mods tb bypass etc...
Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by MikeG
15 hp at best? Lids add around 10 by themselves. The FTRA has also been proven to drop 1/4 times by .1 consistently.
FTRA starts showing its benefit over 100 mph so unless you drive your car constantly @ that velocity, yeah sure you'll feel it. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy FTRA too if I don't have my tranny cooler set up already. I've always take bolt on gains conservatively instead of embelish it. So yeah, 15 rwhp gain is good. Bolt ons don't really show up all their potential until you have them all working together. lid, FRA, LS6 IM, PTB, LTs, TDs or catback. TC like yank would really wake up your car.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people always diss the FTRA. why do people on LS1tech hate cold air kits so much? oh, that's right...because the vast majority of the population doesn't have them, so therefore they must not be worth much the vast majority of the population doesn't have them because everyone has bought into the hearsay around here that says they don't do much.

well, unlike most of the people on tech, i actually HAVE the FTRA system. it's an inexpensive, lightweight, beautifully made system. the install was a pain because i had to do all the cutting myself with a small hack saw. it took me about 2 hours to cut all the plastic. it took me about 20-30 minutes to install the actual kit. the install was very simple and it really helps my car pull in the upper RPM's. words do not describe how much STRONGER my car is in 2nd gear than it is in 1st gear. i have 2.73's...the car is a dog off the line. my 1st gear is very weak, but 2nd gear pulls like a SOB. a lot of that is because of the FTRA system.

i may hit up the track on tuesday for the first time in a year. tuesday is supposed to be 90 degrees out with LOWS of 70 - and VERY humid, so it'll be an absolutely terrible day to run at the track. let's see if i post any gains from my lid/catback time over a year ago, also on a horribly hot and humid night.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
FTRA starts showing its benefit over 100 mph so unless you drive your car constantly @ that velocity, yeah sure you'll feel it. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy FTRA too if I don't have my tranny cooler set up already. I've always take bolt on gains conservatively instead of embelish it. So yeah, 15 rwhp gain is good. Bolt ons don't really show up all their potential until you have them all working together. lid, FRA, LS6 IM, PTB, LTs, TDs or catback. TC like yank would really wake up your car.
You should check out the tech article about the FTRA at install university. Might change your thinking a little bit. Their M6 test car picked up HP starting in second gear, not 'over 100 mph'.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

And I fully know what mods do what for these cars. This is my 3rd LS1, hence why I did all the intake mods at once. I wanted to feel the difference for once.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Tech Resident

FTRA starts showing its benefit over 100 mph so unless you drive your car constantly @ that velocity, yeah sure you'll feel it.
let me guess, you heard someone uninformed say this? do you have an FTRA on your car? it certainly does not take until 100 mph to show benefits. benefits start from idle. you suck up much cooler air from a FTRA. the lower intake temperatures alone at idle are worth a few horsepower. as soon as you get moving, you only pick up more. at 100 mph, i'd be willing to bet you're well into the double digits in horsepower gain. my 2nd gear pulls a lot harder with the FTRA than it did before it - and i'm in 2nd gear by 50 mph and already feeling the gains.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
let me guess, you heard someone uninformed say this? do you have an FTRA on your car? it certainly does not take until 100 mph to show benefits. benefits start from idle. you suck up much cooler air from a FTRA. the lower intake temperatures alone at idle are worth a few horsepower. as soon as you get moving, you only pick up more. at 100 mph, i'd be willing to bet you're well into the double digits in horsepower gain. my 2nd gear pulls a lot harder with the FTRA than it did before it - and i'm in 2nd gear by 50 mph and already feeling the gains.
Sucking cooler air from the idle? Sure, only if you live in Canada. Feeling the gains? Measuring gains out of your BUTT-O-METER huh? Well, since we're on that topic, my Yank stall felt alot stronger on 2nd gear pull too. On the roll even, I started feeling the gains. I bet I gained lots of power, double digits for sure! I would sure do like to see that track result that you speak of (gains from your previous mod lid and catback), in a video and a timeslip, just to shut the skeptics. Of course, this has to be valid comparison meaning the same place, same weather condition, air temperature, DA, etc must occur back to back

And to answer your question, no I don't have FTRA but I do have PTB and a lid.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I could easily see it adding 30rwhp. Why not?? Back when I was bolt-ons, my airlid added 11whp. My ported TB added 8rwhp and a .10 loss at the track is right at 10rwhp on a 13 second car. No reason why it couldn't have added 30rwhp at all. Actually, I'd say it is no less than a 20rwhp gain minimum. It's right at 20rwhp with just the lid and TB so why not?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Tech Resident

Sucking cooler air from the idle? Sure, only if you live in Canada. Feeling the gains? Measuring gains out of your BUTT-O-METER huh? Well, since we're on that topic, my Yank stall felt alot stronger on 2nd gear pull too. On the roll even, I started feeling the gains. I bet I gained lots of power, double digits for sure! I would sure do like to see that track result that you speak of (gains from your previous mod lid and catback), in a video and a timeslip, just to shut the skeptics. Of course, this has to be valid comparison meaning the same place, same weather condition, air temperature, DA, etc must occur back to back

And to answer your question, no I don't have FTRA but I do have PTB and a lid.
again, it's been track proven to reduce ET's by at least a tenth. guess what: those cars that were tested on weren't trapping a whole lot higher than 100 mph. so how can improvements in ET's be shown when you're spending 95% of the entire race under 100 mph if it didn't show gains under 100 mph??? you're just spitting completely inaccurate hearsay. stop polluting other people's minds with false information. the FTRA shows gains everywhere and gains only increase as you go faster.

the FTRA pulls in colder air off idle, yes. it's funny that you'll say that's not worth anything. are you one of those same guys that say aluminum intakes heat soak? funny how people complain about heat soak from metal intakes, but suddenly when the FTRA pulls in colder air from under the car instead of the engine bay, it suddenly means nothing

i love the thought processes around here. there is no honesty. all there is is uninformed people swinging on the nuts of the products they OWN. this guy doesn't own the FTRA, so therefore, it is junk when it has been proven to reduce ET's at the track. just look at reviews for headers. the best is "what you have," not what is best. you have people voting for pacesetters as the best because that's what they own.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

actually its very possible my buddy has a 01 ss a4 it made 310hp and 329tq on the dyno then we made another pull with my clear mti lid on it the car made 329hp and 358tq. so if he was taking full advantage of the ftra and w/ a ptb its possible.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on the parts bro. Keep modding you'll get used to them and feel slow. I installed heads n cam in my car and after 2 weeks i felt slow again so added a 9" slicks. Feels way better but here comes the juice. LOL

Quick Reply: FTRA + Lid + PTB = HUGE SOTP gains!!