Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. I pulled a good one.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. I pulled a good one.

After recieving my new lid from TSP Friday. I finally had time to put it on my '00 TA today. I had already started the project Saturday but didn't have time to finish. Long story short, I ripped off about a 2x2 inch corner of a paper shop towel and had it stuck in the air hose that was conected to the stock lid over the weekend. When I finished putting the lid on. I forgot what I had done, and fired it up sucking the paper to who knows where.

I shut it down right away. Right away and I could hear a slight sound like air trying to pass through the line . I pulled the hose off of what I guess is an air pump and couldn't find anything.

I then followed the line around to the right exhaust manifold and pulled it apart still without finding anything. Next I re-connected the hose and started the car again. It ran fine and the "pump" was pulling in and putting out air. I then hooked it back up to the exhaust man., put another towel over the open hose (secure this time) and went for a short drive down the steet and back.

On the way back the Check Engine Light came on and the pump is no longer pumping.

I'm afraid to ask, but what did i do?
Old 05-19-2003, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Help. I pulled a good one.

Sounds like the towel just got jammed in the AIR pump. I wouldnt worry about that to much because if the pump isnt working it wont go any further. When you say shop towel do you mean one like the red shop towels or do you mean like a bounty paper towel for koolaid spills.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

I mean a paper shop towel. Shouldn't the pump run all the time?
Old 05-19-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yank the pump, tear it down, and get the paper out. It will never work again unless you remove it. Hopefully you didn't burn up the electric motor that powers the pump.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

The AIR system is for emissions and is only on during warm-up. Most people just get rid of it entirely.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

I like the Idea of just elemenating it, better than tearing that pump apart. So how do keep from getting SES codes?
Thanks for everyones help.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You have to use LS1Edit to remove the SES, or, carry atap with you and monitor the SES once in a while to make sure it's the AIR pump and not something else important.