Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing headers with heads on...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing headers with heads on...

I'm going to be purchasing some long tube pacesetter or hooker headers tomorrow. I snapped the bolts on the flanges connecting the stock headers to the Y pipe. My question is whether or not I will be able to install long tube headers with the heads on the car. Pulling the stock ones weren't too difficult but with long tubes will it make it more difficult? What is the best method about doing this?

Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

yes.

here's a write-up i did on my car
http://www.stealthram.com/dynatech.htm
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's a good write-up in the sticky at the top of this section. Read it through.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

If your search works, do a search for header install, there are very nice write ups on this board that will tell you step by step on what to do. But to answer your question, no, your heads can stay on. But, if you are thinking about replacing your heads, now would be a great time to do it. Not to mention the other things such as replacing plugs and wires. It's so much easier changing them with the manifolds off. Just make sure you're careful when installing the new headers because you can shear off a spark plug. Some of us, including myself, have learned this the hard way. Nothing a trip to the parts store cant fix.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Unfortunately the search feature on the ls1tech website seems to be broken for me. Probably just an overload on the website server. Anyhow, I have already replaced the stock 853's with a good set of LS6 243 heads and I've already changed the cam to comp cam 224/228, installed double roller ls6 chain, swapped in a melling ls6 ported oil pump, replaced the stock ls6 springs with comp cam 918 springs and hardened pushrods and had the throttle body ported. I plan on changing the stock intake manifold to the LS6 when I get the money but for now I need to spend it in exhaust. 130,000 miles of heat torture on the stock headers makes for very fragile flange bolts that like to snap off. In any case I will read up on the stickies as posted and I will be extra careful as to not snap off my $12.00 a piece titanium spark plugs. Only waiting on a new power steering pulley and headers before car is completed. Will probably be 2 or 3 more weeks...I can't wait
Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Teching In

the headers will slide in like butter from underneath. the driverside sometimes needs a little shove but youll be good to go. i would take your plugs out before installin the headers cause it just makes life easier and they are easy to put in with headers. i have done about 20 header jobs and all those bolts snap its just a comon thing with LS1 manifolds. good luck with the install and make sure you clean those heads off and dont leave any gasket composits on them, cause they WILL cause a exhaust leak
Old 08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Yep I made sure I cleaned the header and head gasket residue from the old gaskets. I used a flat blade razor and scraped as much off as carefully and methodically as possible. Metal to metal contact is as smoothe as silk. Last thing I want to do is pull the exhaust or heads back off the car just to clean a micro amount of gasket residue that I could've easily scraped off if I had just taken 1 more minute to clean it.