Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to replace Loudmouth with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to replace Loudmouth with?

I thought about replacing the resonater with a bullet style muffler but from what Ive read, its not going to make that big of a difference. I love the way it sounds at idle, but when barely giving it gas, its too poppy and raspy. Kinda sounds like a 60s exhaust system rather than a newer sports car sound. I dont want to add a heavy cat back thats going to take away too much horsepower, but I do want something that will muffle the sound quite a bit, but still have pretty much the same power and flow. I hear that the Loudmouth is the lightest and highest flowing catback around, is this true? What if I was to do a dual exhaust with an x-pipe and 2 bullet style mufflers, would it make a big difference in sound? Would the flow and power still be about the same? Have any sound clips? If you do recommend doing this, what style of bullet would you recommend? Thanks a lot.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What to replace Loudmouth with?

I just installed a Hooker catback about 2 hrs. ago. I also had a LM that was just tooo loud after cam and install and gutted cats. I went with the Hooker after much reasearch on this board and I could not be any happier!! Sounds great at idle and deep and throaty on the move. It get's my vote.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:46 PM

A gentlemen recommended to me the new Borla XS muffler. He said that it doesn't give you that fake "burger stand" raucous sound that alot of the systems have, just a nice mellow tone, that won't impede on power.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

So, you DON'T want your car to sound like an old 60's style exhaust? Who doesn't want their car to sound like a 60's muscle car? Also, how can the sound be "fake"? I understand replacing it w/o working cats, but not all of this.......
Old 05-23-2003, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO, there are only two reasons to replace the Loudmouth - you want true duals or you're too old
Old 05-23-2003, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

I like my GMMG, but exhaust note is very subjective, in my case I wish it was MUCH louder at idle and partial acceration, but I have cats and stock manifolds and an A4 so RPMs tend to stay pretty low. I WAS pulled over once when hammering it to pass at car at relatively slow speeds, so it is capable of attacting a cops attention (jackass couldn't give me a ticket because I did nothing wrong, but the car's sound got his attention), overall its a' nice mix.
Regards,
Old 05-23-2003, 10:21 PM
00z
On The Tree

use a spintech muffler (pro street version i belive) there small in size and sound badass
Old 05-23-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just do like crager and get a bullet muffler it took away the rasp yet it still sounds bad ***. you can go with the borla XR1 but you can get one's for ALOT cheaper that are just as good. that's what i'm doing as soon as i get done puting my car back together....
Old 05-24-2003, 09:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Those Borla bullet mufflers are pretty expensive. How much different would it sound if I was to do the entire exhaust? (3" custom y-pipe and true dual with an x-pipe and 2 bullet style mufflers over the axle; compared to FLP y-pipe and Loudmouth exhaust) Any sound clips of true duals? Would I lose any power or flow with true dual from my set up now? Does anyone make a true dual y-pipe that will mate with the v-flanged collectors on the FLP longtube headers? Thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Those Borla bullet mufflers are pretty expensive.
Dynomax makes a 3" bullet muffler that many loudmouth owners have used to replace the resonator with very positive results. Gets rid of the rasp and reportedly is the highest flowing muffler. It's $40.00 at J**s or S****t. I put one in my intermediate pipe, and then a single 3" turndown(hacked off that imitation dual exhaust factory setup). If you went the dual route, you may gain a little hp, but with all that $$$ spent, the gain wouldn't justify the cost IMHO. You could throw that $$$ at other mods that would give you more from a hp/$$ ratio.