Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mac header suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac header suggestion?

i see that MAC makes headers with ypipe for only $550. now i have a cutout on there now, should i buy cats for this? or O2 sims and a bullet muffler after the ypipe? not only do i need to pass inspection but i dont want it to be super loud as well. loud is good but i dont want UnGodly loud. any suggestions? and what is a fair price and time for installation of these headers, as I am not going to do them again.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case you didn't know, MAC headers are NOT longtubes, they're mid-lengths and regarded as a terrible waste of money for the price (considering you can get longtubes for the same money that outperform at every RPM). Did you already get the MAC's? Because that is A LOT of money for mids that are outperformed by every longtube in existence.

You can get Pacesetters and a y-pipe for $550, or better yet, you can get stainless XS headers and a stainless y-pipe for only $550. $550 is A LOT of money for Macs.

Here's a link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/749890-polished-stainless-steel-headers-y-pipe.html

Until the end of August, you can get stainless longtubes and a stainless y-pipe for only $550. You'd be crazy to get Mac headers over that IMO.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

MACs are good if they are on the car already, or if you can get them used for about half the price of new. If you're buying brand new headers, go all the way and get long tubes. My car came with the MAC mids, and the only reason I haven't switched them out is because I don't feel like re-doing my duals Maybe this winter I will
Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no i did not buy them yet. a local speed shop recommended MACs to me, he wanted 1300 total installed (including the price of the headers.) i thought it was too much, he called for a 6-8 hour job. i might buy those XS headers but i need provisions for the egr and O2s. I might need cats aswell because i need to pass inspection.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
no i did not buy them yet. a local speed shop recommended MACs to me, he wanted 1300 total installed (including the price of the headers.) i thought it was too much, he called for a 6-8 hour job. i might buy those XS headers but i need provisions for the egr and O2s. I might need cats aswell because i need to pass inspection.
Dude, I live in NJ, too. They don't pop the hood for a visual inspection. I just took my boss's BMW in for inspection 3 weeks ago. They didn't pop anything. They only check for cats underneath with a mirror.

Remove your AIR/EGR systems, install the headers and get the codes deleted. No one will ever know the difference. Just make sure you run cats. You can always have a custom y-pipe rigged up like I am, or you can buy Magnaflow 59959 metal brick bullet cats from EAD Performance for 89 bucks like I did. They'll fit practically anywhere. Any decent muffler shop can weld them into the y-pipe.

I can't stress how bad of an idea it is to get Mac mids, and I can't stress how bad of a deal it is to pay $1300 for them INSTALLED A header install can easily be had for $300. If you don't know of a guy up there that will do it for that price, I can recommend a guy for you in South Jersey. I'll be getting mine done next week as long as my cats come in the mail soon...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

This actually makes me want to swap mine out now while I have the entire drivetrain pulled out. Want to buy some used MAC mids?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to order the magnaflow cats. they look like a good deal. who is the guy that will do them for 300 bucks in SJ? i want to order the XS headers once i get paid in about 4 days. that is what im going to do. also what happens to the O2 sensors?

Last edited by DevilDougWS6; 08-20-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres nothing wrong with mac's they just need some work. You can pick macs up in any of the forum for sale sections for $100 or less. Then cut the damn ball flange off and they do some porting work on the primaries(the primaries have some terrible welds in them that need cleaning up). You will need some welding done to get the y-pipe to match up if you get rid of the flanges but its well worth it in my opinion. They go on way easier then long tubes 6-8 hours is ridiculous for macs I had them on in like 3 and that was my first header install on an ls1. They are capable of making damn good power. I put down 358hp and 369ft lbs with my macs, catback with cutout lid, underdrive, and home ported tb, custom tune and I have cats.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've never seen that the Mac mids are that bad. The dyno plots I've seen comparing them to long tubes usually show them performing around half way between stock and LT headers. Sure, they're not as good as full LT headers, but certainly a significant gain.

I'm going with Mac mids because I figured it's a stealthy option for not getting hassled by inspectors. The do look "sort of right". The collector doesn't sit below the car, and a catalytic converter can be tucked up nice and tight, not too far from where the stock ones are located. Also, I have confidence in the fitment of the Macs because of their design. I've seen too many LT headers that hit cross members and floor boards to want them on my car long term.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

macs blow monkey nuts

<----- 11.4's @ 122-123 mph with NA on Macs
Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
im going to order the magnaflow cats. they look like a good deal. who is the guy that will do them for 300 bucks in SJ? i want to order the XS headers once i get paid in about 4 days. that is what im going to do. also what happens to the O2 sensors?
There's a guy I know that I'm going to. I don't like to pimp non-sponsors so if you want to know, PM me. I'd advise you wait a little as I've never had any work done by him, but he seems like a good guy. I'll know in 2 weeks how is work is. I'm getting a custom y-pipe and gears installed at the same time with the headers (I can't afford more downtime and luckily have a 2nd vehicle to borrow for a week). Note $300 isn't a flat rate, it's an estimate.