Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about MAF ends?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 11:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions about MAF ends?

I currently have the Granatelli mass air flow sensor and I was wanting to swap out the ends for aluminum ones so that I could either get them polished, chromed or powdercoated red. You really cant do much to plastic and to do so, Im sure its lots of work. So I want to skip the hassle and just get some aluminum ones. Here is the catch, according to Granatelli, they say that they use plastic ends instead of aluminum because it has less heatsoak. Thats my problem or whats keeping me from doing this. Is swaping them out really going to be an issue with heatsoak and possibly loss of power? If I will lose power doing this, then I guess I will do what I can with the plastic ones and if so, you have any tips on making the plastic ones look good? Thanks
Old 05-26-2003, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club NA

Default Re: Questions about MAF ends?

Actually, Ill post in the appearance section about how to make the plastic ones look good if I do decide to stick with them. But what I want to know from this section is if its going to have heatsoak problems and loss of power? Will it affect my tuning or will I have to get it retuned? Im sure that the plastic ends stay cooler than the aluminum ones, what do you think? Thanks
Old 05-26-2003, 11:37 AM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of Thunder Racing MAF ends. They're billet alum and they come in different colors, I have the black ones and they look good.

I thought about the heatsoak thing too, but I have no idea how much affect it has on power.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does changing from plastic to aluminum or vise versa affect the tuning? Will it throw the fuel/air ratio off any? Does it have any affect on anything? Could there be a loss in power going from ported plactic ends to ported and polished aluminum ends? If so, how much? Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club NA

TTT
Old 05-27-2003, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just painted mine with anodized paint. I think they came out great.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

The only issue I have ever heard of concerning ported ends were that they were prone to leaning out cars and causing knock retard at times. Mine didn't but I switched back to the stock screened ones before I tuned because my tuner told me you may be able to feed more timing in with them over ported ones. Was he right? Maybe, maybe not, but I trust what he told me so I did it.