Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something to think about.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something to think about.

So my paycheck finally came in, and it's a nice fat one. So my issue here is:

I've got 800 dollars to budget into my 02 z28. Was thinking of going with GMMG's, as you can't go wrong with them at all. Now i just bumped into a friend i haven't seen in ages. He's telling me to skip that idea, cuz he's got a welding shop and all. He's telling me he can put together a system for me, all i have to do is buy the exhaust manifold and leave the rest to him for a GREAT price.

Is it possible to actually create something that sounds anything like a set of GMMG? Take his offer, or spend that heavy 800!?! Help me out here guys. What would you guys do with the 800 ?

Oh, he was also telling me about some sort of crazy thing he can hook me up with, it's a hatched box installed by the manifold controlled by a switch, that you can have flap out and in to control emissions. Am i getting this right?!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get headers first.

Don't know why you would want to buy a exhaust manifold to make a replica GMMG catback unless you mean mufflers? Which in that case yes you can buy chambered mufflers but not from GMMG so I don't know how it would sound or how easy it would be to fab up. Go duals if he is gonna try and make a catback which would be a waste of time to me. I think the box he is telling you about is actually a cutout. Search and you will see what all these things I mentioned are.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by porksoda
I'd get headers first.

Don't know why you would want to buy a exhaust manifold to make a replica GMMG catback unless you mean mufflers? Which in that case yes you can buy chambered mufflers but not from GMMG so I don't know how it would sound or how easy it would be to fab up. Go duals if he is gonna try and make a catback which would be a waste of time to me. I think the box he is telling you about is actually a cutout. Search and you will see what all these things I mentioned are.
+1 on the headers
Old 09-13-2007, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Your right! I've heard many use the term, but i'm not too exhaust savvy to catch on too much. Don't know if i should just throw the 800 on GMMG. He's got the tools, shop, and experience. I'm thinking long term though... i believe in getting what i pay for.

What about buying a chambered exhaust

Chambered exhaust

and Bullets:
Bullets
and having him work into creating a gmmg replica.

Last edited by ophee; 09-13-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

For the $800 bucks you can get headers and have him fab you up a true dual exhaust. Thats if he is a good friend and does gives you a good deal. If not you can still get headers and a Hooker catback or possibly a Magnaflow. Won't sound as nasty as a GMMG or duals but will be better than stock.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

I live in NY, he says he can get me the emissions sticker no prob. Will i find more gain going with the headers/and a customed true dual exhaust like u say porksoda? Or am better off just gmmging it? I don't think i'd want to put headers, and gmmg together. It's a daily driver. I'm sure it sounds too loud. Thanks porksodaaa
Old 09-13-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

headers and true duals would net you more power by far as compared to stock manifolds and gmmg catback
Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

You could also add cats to the mix if your worried about it being too loud for a daily driver.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

My only concern is that it doesn't sound like those high pithced exhausts. Which is why i chose gmmg. Nice, quiet, thick-sounding rumble. But, at wot of course it turns heads. Can that be replicated by buying those chambered exhausts and bullets... n having him weld some 3 inch pipes? Or is their something special behind Gmmg's exhausts that can't be made elsewhere?