Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP best way to locate exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP best way to locate exhaust leak

I recently installed Edelbrock stepped headers and their y-pipe with cats welded in. I have a substantial exhaust leak and want to know what you have done to locate leaks. I thought about pulling the vacumn line to the brake booster and slowly add something that would smoke when run through the motor to hopefully see where the leak(s) are but don't want to damage any sensors in the process. Any bright ideas?

TIA
Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it a slip fit merge?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

soap+water in spray bottle. Spray it around the joints. If the soap starts to bubble continuously thats were your leak is
Old 09-22-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lgobraves
soap+water in spray bottle. Spray it around the joints. If the soap starts to bubble continuously thats were your leak is
yeah but do it when the pipes cold so it doesnt sizzle/boil when sprayed on.

or take a cigarette/cigar or an inscent stick (something that smokes) and move it around the exhaust pipes. this works best in a garage where there isnt any air movement.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

welll. where is the leak..at the collector/after...or at the heads.??? you can surely tell which....
Old 09-22-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, it is not the slip fit merge collectors. It does have the supplied band clamps where the collector and y-pipe fit together and I have noticed just a small amount of leakage there. When I start the engine there are two distinct and loud rushes of air (loud hisses) before the engine fires and when I accelerate near a wall or other solid object I can hear the hissing very well. I re-used my 42,000 mile factory 3-piece metal gaskets which appeared to be in perfect condition. The soap and incense are great ideas but there are areas where neither can be reached or seen (some areas of bottom of head flange plate, center of merge collector, etc.) I kept the a.i.r. system and used the supplied gaskets and no leak is obvious there.