Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks HP gain over SLP's

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks HP gain over SLP's

How much HP should I pick up from going from my current SLP's to 1-7/8" Kooks?Check my sig for my current set-up.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probab;y not too much, if any HP gain....but, you'll gain a ton of ground clearance!

Next month, I'll also be swapping out my SLP LT out to be replaced by a nice new set of Kooks. I'm lowered so I'm really looking forward to the extra clearance.

My SLP's have been on the car for 4 years now, and they are pretty banged and scrapped up by now.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 AM

But should not going from 1-3/4"SLP's to 1-7/8"Kook's gain me anything???
Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

You do have a good size exhaust duration on that cam, 240 degree - so the the larger LT will like that.

I woulnt have high expectations in HP and Torque gains, but you'll probably gain a few ponies...every little bit does help!

Please, post back the results though, I'd like to see the numbers from one set to the next.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
You do have a good size exhaust duration on that cam, 240 degree - so the the larger LT will like that.

I woulnt have high expectations in HP and Torque gains, but you'll probably gain a few ponies...every little bit does help!

Please, post back the results though, I'd like to see the numbers from one set to the next.
Im kind of curious as well to see what the diff would be, my headers are about the same age, and not looking all that good since the coating doesnt stand the test of time all that well
Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ricketzSS
Im kind of curious as well to see what the diff would be, my headers are about the same age, and not looking all that good since the coating doesnt stand the test of time all that well
I've just gotten my car back this week from having the SLP's riped out and the Kooks installed, along with a new set of Poly motor mounts.

All I can say is wow. The tone of the car has definetly changed.
Better? Can't say, but I still love the sound of coming out of my GMMG.
Friends say its louder, but I dont think so...but I perfer to drive the car with the cut-out closed with the Kooks.

Ground clearance - I now have a ton!!!
The new found clearance alone was worth it to me.

I'm planning on one more dyno run early Nov to get some final numbers before the car is put to sleep for the winter coming up.