Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best bang for the buck cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default best bang for the buck cylinder heads

thats is what i am trying to do my homework on now...trying to find the best bang for the buck cylinder heads for my stock cube/bore LS1...will be going with a Vengeance cam and heads when i get back..but if i can get some of the legwork done it will help in the cylinder head selection and ultimately help me to make more power..thanks!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best bang for the buck? If you don't spend money you won't get anything worthwhile. Get a superbadass cam instead.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cascazilla
best bang for the buck? If you don't spend money you won't get anything worthwhile. Get a superbadass cam instead.
That's partially true. If he asked what's it going to cost to get the best heads available, then your reply would be appropriate. But usually people look towards $/hp gained.

Say a set of hand worked AFR's or TFS or ET heads all gave you 50hp, but a set of PRC CNC ported ls6 heads gives you 40hp, but costs half as much, then that would be the best bang for the buck.

Black Formula LS1, ask yourself what your ultimate goals are. Do you want to make 420-440hp and get a set of heads under $2000, or are you willing to go above $2400 and get a killer set of heads, match it with a cam, ported FAST intake, headers, offroad y-pipe, custom tune and shoot for 460-470 rwhp? Option #2 is going to cost you about another $2000 in the end after you get done with the ported FAST, throttle body and better heads, but is the 30-40hp a must?

To answer your original question, search throught he dyno section and see what other stock cube guys are running, and see what combo's yeilded what numbers, but more importantly, talk to Ron and the guys at Vengeance. If you have decided to go with one of their cams, they will know better than anyone what heads work best.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the best bang for your buck cylinder heads are TEA, Patriot and PRC (not necessarily in that order).
Old 10-07-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For stock cubed, I would get Texas-speeds 5.3 stage 2.5 heads. They come assembled for $1200.00. That and their 228R cam is a really good combo for a street car.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best bang for the buck, nitrous!!! As far as heads I hear the L92 stuff is the way to go.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chrismorales75
Best bang for the buck, nitrous!!! As far as heads I hear the L92 stuff is the way to go.

L92 stuff won't work with stock cube/bore ls1. You need at least a 4.0" bore to use the l92 heads and then you are also currently limited to what intake you can run, which has been a restriction to date to getting the l92s to realize their potential.

I still say look at the PRC stuff. Not that I have used them, but from what I have read, they seem to be a great compromise between budget and performance.

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck cylinder heads