Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porting 85mm throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default porting 85mm throttle body question

alright, so i'm a cheap bastard...i bought a 96mm intake manifold a while back to aid in my h/c swap. i'm looking at the possibility of getting the summit 85mm throttle body and porting it since it seems to be a cheap option. i am wondering if anybody knows how big it can be ported. if i can get it close to 90mm, i will be going this route since PP won't be able to get the 96mm throttle body out for a while. thanks guys.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Restricted User

I actually ported and polished a couple 85mm professional product units. One was my personal one that i was going to use. They actually came out awesome but took 3 times as long as any other tb. The problem is that right out of the box they have the same problems stock tb's do, they restrict the flow with a ridge and leave a lot of room for porting.

After porting and polishing they are still an 85mm blade but it doesn't neck down to 81mm or so. Personally i had both 85mm sitting next to 90mm units and they are very similar and definitely flow plenty of air for most combos
Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Launching!

yeah that would probably be a better one to use than the one off summit. not sure why i didn't think of that lol. thanks, do you know if it will match up tho the intake manifold?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Furious_George
yeah that would probably be a better one to use than the one off summit. not sure why i didn't think of that lol. thanks, do you know if it will match up tho the intake manifold?
Either of the 2 tb's are probably pretty much similar. Just ask PP, i believe that most people are using their 85mm on the 96mm manifold since the 96mm is not out yet so i assume they bolt up. Tim
Old 10-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Launching!

cool, thanks Tim
Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

What was the original purpose to the lip?? I would assume GM would have designed it that way for a reason, but never heard any solid info on it
Old 10-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by lgobraves
What was the original purpose to the lip?? I would assume GM would have designed it that way for a reason, but never heard any solid info on it
I believe its to reduce the response of the pedal. Most all production tb's have it. This way the pedal can be pushed the first 15% without actually opening the blade away from the housing and allowing alot of air to come in. I assume thats the purpose so the throttle is not as responsive, safety issues, loosing control ect.

Thats why with porting a stock tb the response is extremely increased, as soon as you get into the throttle more air is allowed in.