Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve cover question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover question

When I did my head and cam swap I purchased new valve covers, smoothed them down and painted them. I then noticed that I couldnt use them because on the passenger side it has only 1 nodule for the PCV hoses and the old one that was on my car has 2 and there were no baffles on the underside of the valve covers. Is there a difference in years on these? These photos are for example:

This is like my current setup (old valve covers):

This is like the ones I purchased and was hoping on using:

Can I still use the new ones I purchased? Is there a way to delete the PCV sytem and plug the holes or can I run just one hose? I know it connects to the drivers side valve cover as well.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your new set of valve covers (at least the passangers side) was designed for the LS6 block/PCV system, where the intake pulls its ventilation from the LS6 style valley cover vs. the LS1 style passangers side valve cover.

You can convert your PCV system to the LS6 style, like I did, just buy the LS6 valley cover. But you may need to do some dremelling on your block to make it fit.

Does your new drivers side valve cover have the fitting on it for the LS1 PCV hose? or is that also missing?

Actually, I'd like to buy a set of valve covers with out the LS1 PCV connection for the cleaner look, instead of the plugs im using now.

If you want to sell yours let me know.
BTW, what was the part numbers you used to when ordering them?

Last edited by Michael02hawk; 10-18-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Your new set of valve covers (at least the passangers side) was designed for the LS6 block/PCV system, where the intake pulls its ventilation from the LS6 style valley cover vs. the LS1 style passangers side valve cover.

You can convert your PCV system to the LS6 style, like I did, just buy the LS6 valley cover. But you may need to do some dremelling on your block to make it fit.

Does your new drivers side valve cover have the fitting on it for the LS1 PCV hose? or is that also missing?

Actually, I'd like to buy a set of valve covers with out the LS1 PCV connection for the cleaner look, instead of the plugs im using now.

If you want to sell yours let me know.
BTW, what was the part numbers you used to when ordering them?
**** i cant remember what part number I used. Got them about a year ago. The drivers side of the new valve cover (PCV Part) is different as well. I'll probably end up selling them. I sanded them down smooth and than painted them black. Heres a picture of the valve covers. Notice the drivers side PCV port has a "nipple" on top of it. The old ones dont.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't really see the nipple on the driver side in that picture - but hey, those are exactly what I want.

Want to do a swap/trade?
Mine are stock LS1 style - just like you want, but spray painted black, you'll probably want to sand and re-paint them.

Lets work something out.
pm me!

Last edited by Michael02hawk; 10-18-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Valve cover question