Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use those Dynatech vortex cone inserts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone use those Dynatech vortex cone inserts?

I was thinking about getting rid of my Moroso spiral flow's and running a straight through dynomax bullet, but I know it will be insanely loud. Its already really loud with the spiral flows. I want to free up as much hp as possible. So I was thinking about running a set of Dynatech vortex cone inserts that you can buy through jegs or summit. They are like $70 a piece so I would hate to buy 2 of them just to find out that they dont quiet down my exhaust at all. Does anyone have experience with these? I would just run them on the street, then pull them out when I go to the track.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

these cone inserts are often used with sidepipes, check out Corvette or Cobra forums.
I am considering these for my Vette, they seem to make the Hooker pipes a lot quieter if installed right after the collector.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Default cone style inserts

I tried them on a 3" dual exhaust twin turbo car. Made no difference that we could hear. The length of exhaust pipe may have been a factor though since these dumped by the front wheels thru short pipes. We took them out.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

My 2 cents worth:

I just tried one of these on my 95 LT1. I put 1 cone in my Y pipe. I was trying to reduce the "drone" of my exhaust at 1200-1800 RPM cruising range.

I am running a Long Tubes, dual cats on Y pipe, into a single Dynomax Super Turbo. (I must be getting old...trying to quite my car down....)

The good part: The cone reduced the drone slightly and noticeably reduced the loudness of the exhaust.

The bad part: Seat of the pants tells me I lost some hp/tq. The engine felt like it was choking or straining on acceleration.

Now in defense of the product - this is not the suggested installation model - they suggest one on each header, not one in the y pipe. If I do this I can not imagine they would restrict any more then each high flow cat I have coming off of each header pipe in my Y.

I just finished up sealing my header/Y pipe connections and I did not want to spring for ANOTHER $60.00 for a stupid little metal cone with holes in it - so I am pulling it off for now.

I may buy another one and put one on each header - don't know yet. If I do I will take my G-Tech and try and do some before/after estimated power tests.

Quick Reply: Anyone use those Dynatech vortex cone inserts?