Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the !MAF and De-Screen Mod Safe to Do???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is the !MAF and De-Screen Mod Safe to Do???

Just need a quick answer. Is it safe to remove the restrictions in the MAF housings and de-screen the MAF??? I need to pass California emmision testing if that matters. Won't be any SES lights I hope? Thanks
Old 06-14-2003, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: Is the !MAF and De-Screen Mod Safe to Do???

no problems with my descreened MAF. as far as the aluminum dividers made into the housings...there is a big disagreement with this. everyone says port it if you have a m6 and dont mess with the maf ends if you have an a4
Old 06-14-2003, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but be extremely careful. The MAF Sensor is extremely delicate, and you don't want to adjust anything other than taking out the screen. Also, don't touch the sensors inside. I removed my screen and it flows to a certain degree better, but not very noticeable. I have no clue if it will effect emissions in California so KEEP THE SCREEN!!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

I HAVE A 2002 Z M6 I GOT THE PLASTIC PORTED MAF ENDS AND NO SCREEN ITS BEEN ON FOR ABOUT A MONTH NO RPOBLEMS YET, LIKE THEY SAY ITS ALRIGHT TO DE-SCREEN AND TO PORT MAF ENDS IF U HAVE AN M6?????? HOPE THAT HELPS
Old 06-15-2003, 12:21 AM
Launching!

I'm not lookin to get ambushed here or anything, but MAF mods are so hit or miss, I'd just leave it alone. I mean, without knowing where your fuel trims are now, why put yourself in the position to start fighting KR if you go too lean screwing around with something that might net you 3 HP??

It has been proven time and time again that the stock UNMODIFIED MAF can support big big HP numbers, so if anyone IS seeing gains from polishing/descreening, it's not from "increasing flow" it's from hosing up the MAF's calibration and causing it to lean the air/fuel mixture.

I love "free power" too, but this is just a can of worms waiting to be opened... your so called "free" mod is going to end up costing you $289 for Auto tap (so you can see how bad you f#*@'d up your fuel trim) and $189 for a MAFT (so you can tune out the KR)

That being said, I'm going to take cover behind this desk, and load my .45
Old 06-15-2003, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, I already started to port the housings after the 1st reply, and already finished one of them. I had to descreen it to port it. If it doesn't work out, I will just get another MAF, something I was planning to do anyways. Thanks