Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Cutout Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust Cutout Question

I am considering exhaust cutout/s for my SS. I am running SLP LTs, Y-Pipe, Random Tech cats, and GMMG exhaust. What locations have been used with similar setups? Should I put 1 in the intermediate pipe, or 2 in the y-pipe? Can the cats be bypassed? Any input would be appreciated!
Old 06-16-2003, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust Cutout Question

I am considering exhaust cutout/s for my SS. I am running SLP LTs, Y-Pipe, Random Tech cats, and GMMG exhaust. What locations have been used with similar setups? Should I put 1 in the intermediate pipe, or 2 in the y-pipe? Can the cats be bypassed? Any input would be appreciated!

I have JetHot longtubes with dual 3" Flow-Tech cutouts built into a 3" ypipe w/no cats about 8" aft of the collector flange. Although it sounds mean as hell I lost 2/10ths' in the 8th mile from doing this. I first contributed the loss in ET to the knock module retarding timing due to false valvetrain virbrations, but I'm positive it's loss of backpressure. Dual cutouts on the ypipe with cams and head would probably be just fine. I've heard of people doing a single cutout where the ypipe hits the catback and also in front of the axle and they ran fine. I think the dual cutouts though will hurt you on the ypipe unless your planning on heads and a cam. I suspected this would be the case with my stock LT1 but knowing the longterm plans I built my exhaust setup this way in advance for the stroker.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I have heads/cam on order. However, would there be any benefit for either arrangement? Putting one in the Intermediate pipe would be easier and cheaper than two in the y-pipe? Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2003, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

I have heads/cam on order. However, would there be any benefit for either arrangement? Putting one in the Intermediate pipe would be easier and cheaper than two in the y-pipe? Thanks!!

well it's only a 30 dollar part for the cutout and about 25 labor to fit it in the ypipe. I got my entire custom ypipe with the cutouts for a 100 bucks here locally. If I had it to do all over again I'd maybe try the intermediate pipe but I didn't want to cut into the new Borla so I just did 2 cutouts on the ypipe and with a little more flow I'll enjoy em at the track...or street....grocery store.........the parking garage at work ......
Old 06-16-2003, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll enjoy em at the track...or street....grocery store.........the parking garage at work ......
...or anywhere that you need a quick pick-me-up!!

I want to go with one of the electric cutouts (QTEC, McCord,...), so if there is no exceptional advantage to 2 in the y-pipe, I guess one in the I/M will do. Do you know of any companies that make the pipe portion of the cutout in stainless?
Old 06-16-2003, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

I'll enjoy em at the track...or street....grocery store.........the parking garage at work ......
When we are bored, I follow my husband in his WS6 with Loundmouth, in my Firehawk with my opened cutout, (we both have gutted cats) through a parking garage and listen to all the car alarms that go off as we go by.