Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise level change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise level change?

Do you guys know if there will be any noise level change from dumping the exhaust right under the drivers seat vs dumping it at the axle?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

yeah its gonna be a bit louder
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

it will be a lot louder in the interior of the car, but the exterior noise probably wouldnt be too much louder
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Did this in my stang last month and it gets a lot louder in the car and outside the car,even more when next to a car or under an overhang drivethru.Almost too loud on long drives.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess you would feel the vibration of the sound coming out. If I stand next to my friends 78 camaro it seems to shake the ground around where the exhaust exits.
I guess if you are driving the car a lot dump it at the axle. for the fun of it, do it under the seat.

I was thinking of having an electronic exhaust cutout exiting out of the Trans-Am side vents, has that ever been done?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

for a short time i ran open LT headers. i then installed a 3" TD setup (with no mufflers) dumped at the axles.

the open headers was obnoxiously loud inside the car. its all vibration and reverberation inside.

the pipes put the sound and reverb farther under the car, and there is more "stuff" in the rear of the car to insulate.

even from outside it was noticably different. it was sharper and cackleier (is that a word?) with open headers.

put the pipes on....trust me
Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have my exhaust dumping right under the drivers seat with Flowmaster 1 chambers on the collectors with turndowns. I had mine dumped at the axle previously with the same mufflers with turndowns. It seemed to drone a lot more dumped at the axle but overall was quieter inside the car dumped at the axle. With the exhaust under the seat you can feel every exhaust pulse. Also without an X or H pipe the exhaust will pop a lot more and be rougher sounding. Turndowns help a lot to keep the sound directed away form the cabin so use them.