Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing cat-back tomorrow, looking for tips/tricks!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing cat-back tomorrow, looking for tips/tricks!!

I'm installing a new cat-back tomorrow on my ride! (Corsa) I am pumped! Looking over the instructions....

How much do I really need to lift the car to do the work?
Do I really have to cut the stock exhust? (about how much?)

Tips anyone?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Installing cat-back tomorrow, looking for tips/tricks!!

Not sure how much you'll have to cut off the stock exhaust, but you'll be able to tell once you get under there.

The higher the car is, the easier it will be to work on imo. Better than having your face smashed against the car.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:09 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my Hooker catback about a month or so ago. The hardest part of the install was getting my stock WS6 exhaust out. I didn't want to cut it so I ended up basically dropping the rear end, twisting and turning the exhaust until it came out. All together the install took about 3 hours, including a drive to pick up pizza, eat it all, then a test drive, and aligning the tips. I also had to use an impact wrench to get the clamp off of the I pipe/Y pipe connection (it's tac welded). I'm not sure if the Corsa CB includes a 4th clamp or not.

Not too many tricks, it's pretty straight forward. Just be sure to have everything in place and adjusted before you start tightening everything. If you have access to a lift, it helps, after the test drive I had a few rattles. I came back, put it on the lift again and banged up and down the exhaust to trace any rattles, and tightened the crap out of all the clamps and bolts. Once your done it's time to take it out and , listen to that sweet corsa purr!

Rob
Old 06-18-2003, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

I installed mine on either jack stands or ramps (can't remember), and clearance was no problem at all. It's an incredibly simple job if you cut off the stock exhaust, if not, prepare to sweat a little.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's really easy to do. If you cut off your stock pipe (the easiest way) you'll probably want to use air tools. If you wind up using one of those chain cutters... you'll be there for awhile. I promise. You'll have to make two cuts if I remember correctly but if you are patient enough you can get away with one if you can reach the right spot. Other than that, nice and straightforward.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone! We got it on there last night without too many problems. Had to make one cut, and man, is that pipe tough! We used a saw, then moved to a dremel and I'd say that was the hardest part.

I used some small ramps to drive on. That gave us enough room.

We also spent way too much time getting the new exhaust set "just right".

It sounds sooooo sweet now.