Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Plugs and Breaking Wires - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing Plugs and Breaking Wires - HELP

I'm in the middle of changing my spark plugs and the metal connector that connects to the spark plug came out of 4 of the wires when I was pulling them off and was stuck on the end of the spark plug! Can I just push this back into the wire? Well one of the connectors actually broke in half so that wire is screwed. Can I get replacement wires from Taylor or will I need to get a new set? Also what can I do to prevent this? A friend was telling me I should put WD40 or dielctric silicone on the connector before I connect it to the plug.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

are you talking about the metal heat shields that have springs in them? if so yes just pop it back on (or you can run w/o it, no big deal). i would also recommend using dielectric grease on both ends of the plug wires when you're putting them back on.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

using dielectric grease will make installing the wires on the plugs easier, don't know if it helps many moons later for taking the wires off the plugs. never heard of wd40 so I'd stick with die grease, you can get a packet for like 99 cents at the parts store or new wires should come with it.

As for reinstalling the connector, you would have to open it up with some pliers or something then re crimp it together. Don't be ripping the wires off the plugs, you have to pull on the thick sleeve part closest to the heads, not the wire, that's how they get screwed up. If it were me and I messed up 4 I would probably wrap up my job for the night and get some new wires and start fresh tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. The job will surely be on hold for a few days untill I get some new wires. I'll probably have to order a new set of Taylor wires.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

iv had thes ame problem with tylor wire's i had 3 or 4 of the metal insurts come out and i was holding it on the boot when i pulled them off..you can fix it easy just recrimp it..same as buying a universal set and having to put them togeather..( my 70 nova)
Old 11-17-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are there better wires like MSD I think, that won't break as easily?