Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Y-Pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Y-Pipe Question

I was browsing the topics and saw the comment about stock vs. aftermarket Y-Pipes. I haven't read much about the issue, but it sure seems to me that the geometry of the squat stock pipes have to make them more restrictive than aftermarket. I'm no expert, but it seems obvious.

Am I way off on this?

By the way, I just ordered Random Tech's Y-Pipe with high-flow cats and the Magnaflow cat-back to install on my stock manifolds. I hope this wasn't a wasted investment.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Another Y-Pipe Question

By the way, I just ordered Random Tech's Y-Pipe with high-flow cats and the Magnaflow cat-back to install on my stock manifolds. I hope this wasn't a wasted investment.

Ahh, young grasshoppa - all money spend on modify car is "bad investment"
Old 06-19-2003, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

I think the exhaust you just ordered is a good investment if you don't want to mess with headers. As for the Y-pipe question, there are guys who say there is nothing to gain with an aftermarket one because the stock one is flattened out but it does get wider so it flows just as good. I don't really agree with that though. I'm not saying it makes a big difference, but I still think it would flow a little better.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Y-pipe might gain ya 1-2hp. Huge waste of money, especially for the RT! (isn't it like 300-400$?) For that money, I would have put it towards some Hookers/Jet Hots/whatever. Much more power.

Stock y-pipe flows fine. I know, I got an aftermarket y-pipe. NO DIFFERENCE. I cut that crap off after 6 months and put some FLPs on there.

Dope