Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting headers

hey guys i was just wondering if you have used any heat paint on some headers. i have tried some on my dirtbike before and it didnt seem to work so good. if you guys know of a brand or type of paint that does work really good then please let me know. i want them to be black to.. thanks. Tyler aka Mini Z
Old 11-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Restricted User

I don't think I've ever seen paint last on headers period. You can give it a try but I doubt it'll work. Just get 'em coated or wrap 'em.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vht makes some paint thats supposed to handle 1500 degrees. ive seen some headers painted with vht on old trucks, dont know how long they lasted.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Teching In

When I first bought a set of headers for my Chevelle, I painted them up real nice with some high-temp grill paint. Within thirty seconds of the car running, the paint was flaking off in chunks. I would have to go in and paint them every couple of weeks because everytime the engine got hot, the paint came off. When I replaced the motor, I got a set of "blackjack" headers. They were painted black at the factory, and not supposed to come off. I put the headers on, ran the motor and they were fine! Buttoned her up for the winter and when I popped the hood about 2 months later, they were all rusted.

I since then have gone JetHot, and never looked back. Moral of the story: save your money on paint (unless the headers are already on the car) and get a Cerami-coated set.

Chris