Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C STILL LEAKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C STILL LEAKS!!!

As soon as I put the car up for sale (the v6 bird) the A/C took a dump on me. It wouldn't blow cold air, so I put some more 134a in it and it worked for a couple days then nothing. I took it to a shop and they said it was the compressor that was leaking and I would need a new one.

I put another compressor on. Recharged after that and I could hear a leak from the two pipes on the back of the compressor. The morning after that there was nothing left. Today I replaced the pipes and recharged once again. Sure enough I hear the leak from the same place. NOW WHAT?!??!

Someone is coming to buy the car tomorrow. As far as he knows, I've fixed the A/C.. I told him I would fix it when he test drove it (had the compressor in the mail). I have until tomorrow afternoon to get this thing working... any suggestions???
Old 06-23-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: A/C STILL LEAKS!!!

Well, sounds like the A/C system is leaking liquid into the compressor and breaking it. The compressor should only be taking in vapor. The shop that told you the compressor was bad is right, but they did not fully diagnose the problem. Get a manifold gauge set and give us the pressures, no way to know until then.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:57 PM
wrencher

Or..., the " manifold hose assembly" bolts up to the compressor.
The sealing washers to the compressor must be replaced.
There are diff. sizes & thickness's you have to have it right or it will leak!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Sounds exactly like the washers are on wrong, different size thickness, or are old and don't seal anymore. Never cheap on the washers.