Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with headers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with headers!

I recently bought a set of SLP headers off of an 01 T/A and mine is a 99. I quickly noticed that the polution control fittings are not the same on mine. How can i fix this problem? Do i have to get it reprogramed if i dont hook them up or if i remove all of it?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

I just had a similar problem last weekend. I was slapping on a set of headers that had that AIR and EGR tubes crimped and welded shut, which I did not know upon purchase. I would go ahead and block off the AIR and EGR fittings on the headers, and plug the corresponding hoses/hole in the intake as well. I used a 35MM freezeplug for the intake manifold, I believe, and 1/2 in. plumbing plugs for the AIR tubes. I then unclamped the wiring and tucked it away. It was the header install from hell. Also, you will probably need 02 extensions. Nothing on my install went as it should have, and it ended up taking forever. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Good luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Also, I think you can delete the codes with LS1 edit or something similar. I don't think it is terrible for you engine to run it while its still spitting codes, but I may be wrong. May just trigger the check engine light. Feel free to correct me on that, I'm alot better with the physical parts than computer stuff.
Good luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea you can buy block off plates. I bought the race headers with no emissions.On my 01 I just ripped the Air system out and had my tuner delete the codes. Doesnt affect anything.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Running with the EGR disconnected and not turned off in the tune can cause some issues with the car not going into open loop, did on mine anyhow until we turned it off in the tune.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

i would just port it yourself, it really wasnt that hard just go slow, and dont epoxy it. Theirs a real good guide on here, let me know if you want a link cause i would have to search for it.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

The thing about the EGR is that it has a spark advance time table of it's own. It has a few degrees here and there of advance in the rpm range. You should have it tuned out to avoid any problems, short term or longer term.

See for yourself...